*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I’ve been out of this thread for a few weeks... have I missed anything good?

My 9900k/2080 is still going strong (KNOCK ON WOOD!) with 1.3.2 and 200w VBIOS. Have had it since early April; just played Monster Hunter World for two hours last night no issues (again, trying not to jinx it).

Going to de-lid my 9900 next week, repaste with both Nanogrese and TG to see what I like more, and will TRY to repad but it seems there’s no perfect guide to the sizes and amounts you need, yet, so I may end up waiting on that.

Temps are high after an UV, but I keep 4.9 stable on all eight cores and my GPU doesn’t throttle, so I won’t complain.

FXi likes this.
  2. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agon AG352UCG 21/9 35" ;)

BTW, as it's a topic called Owner Lounge, this is my setup :

[​IMG]

;)

3. Dagr

Dagr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone had any issues with the latest round of AWCC / sound / OC updates? Every damn time they push new ones something goes wrong. Now it hangs when it runs and says it doesn't detect any FX compatible hardware. Fricking ridiculous. I HATE that they are using windows universal / store apps for things. They never install correctly.

4. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice setup! Too much RGB for my liking though...

We need more posts like this in here.. kudos!

Since my laptop is dead, I've had some time to buy some accessories and this is the "portable" setup I ended up with..

1. Optoma HD27HDR projector:- 120Hz 8ms Full HDR 1080p projector with 120" crystal clear screen. I cannot recommend this enough, for the price, its mental how good it is to game on. I've been playing Witcher 3 on it and I am completely hooked to this thing. 4K movies with HDR looks super good and I think my wife likes it more than me Highly recommend!

2. Bought Xbox One X wireless controller for Witcher 3 and Skyrim SE and I'm loving it to far. I've been a keyboard mouse old school gamer all my life, it does feels good to lie back on my bed and just roam around Witcher 3 at 120Hz.

3. Amazon Firestick 4k HDR to connect with my new projector and it's perfect setup. For Live Sports and 4K movies, it's just super compact and great performance device.

4. Connect all peripherals to two Bose Resolve+ speakers and the the sound fidelity is just madness.

Now, all I need is for the new laptop to get delivered this week so that I can push those framerates all the way in Sekiro and Dark Souls 3 to 120Hz 8.3ms 120" goodness. The HDR feature for this price point is just mental.

I'm going off the social grid for a few weeks now...

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

jclausius, S.K and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You could, in theory, disable AWCC in the windows startup options, play your game without it loading and then set it back and reboot when you are done with the offending game. I will also chime in that Dell should make these game specific light shows "optional" if we don't like the effects without killing the themes you do want for the system. We should all write the game builders themselves because it could also be an option in their games too. MSC or task manager should get the job done.

6. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wait is always long in that case, I can confirm, but once you've got your unit, enjoy you deserve it ! ;)

S.K likes this.
  7. Dagr

Dagr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This one is really pissing me off... can't access the Audio control center (again)... seems to happen every AWCC update. Can't even get AWCC to load, so no overclocking, no fan control.. the stupid system is way to dependent on this app.. and being a windows store universal app, it can't seem to upgrade worth a damn.

Seriously, this stuff simply won't intstall. When it's working it's fine (mostly)... but good grief. I can uninstall it all and reinstall but the realtek audio control panel never recognizes and shows the audio controls... what a pain in the ass. /bitter

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  8. Vanya

Vanya Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

I'm waiting for my unit to arrive (it was delayed to their known issues).
    I'd like to know the exact reference of the included SSDs ?
    Are they NVMe or AHCI ?

Thank you !

9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Completely uninstall it along with all add-ons using Revo uninstaller. Then, clean orphan registry entries using CCleaner and once that's done, reinstall it from scratch. And once you get it working, take a full backup of your OS for future usage. Personally, I also have a locally copied backup of AWCC folders and if something breaks, I overwrite the backed up files on top so it never bothers me again. I am not going to "upgrade" it until a more accurate fan control mechanism is provided like we have in MSI Afterburner. Other than that, I am good with minimal backlight with no RGB, just one static color (I don't like lights flashing in my face while I'm using my computer anyway).

It depends upon what you bought. Personally speaking, I'd never buy SSDs out of the factory because they are generally over priced anyway. It's usually better to install them later on by yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2019
    Vanya likes this.
  10. Vanya

Vanya Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah I saw that, I already own my NVMe SSDs, but I was just wondering which models they included. I have an external NVMe case but it only supports NVMe (and not AHCI) that's why I'm wondering if I could just take the 256 Gb SSD they include and put it on my external case.