*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    It's interesting that we don't know the details of any single one of the burned up computers as far as firmware goes. There is definitely a connection, which could work in combination with poor thermal pad job + benchmarks to kill a machine. Not to forget, the first batch of DGFF rocking lower spec NCP-303151 mosfets.

jclausius and Rei Fukai like this.
  2. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Everyone read this again and please try and follow. Make new threads for God's sake so that we'll have some channeled information in these forums. This owner's lounge is too long and too convoluted to follow properly. This thread is most resourceful information we have about the Area 51m on the internet but it's too saturated now. Hard to find information here properly, especially for a newbie.

So:

TLDR: Make new threads, let's start sorting out the information, may it good or bad impressions.

And for everyone saying that Area 51m is a bad laptop and it burns out and no future proof or whatever your gripe about it is, IT IS STILL A FANTASTIC COMPUTER!

If you were to allow me to trade this to a desktop class Clevos or the new GT76, I would still prefer keeping this, you know why? Because it is well designed, feels premium, juicy screen, easily portable, has fantastic warranty support for 4 years and most importantly, has DESKTOP CLASS COMPONENTS which performs like a desktop!

I don't know why you guys are complaining about old and new firmware crippling the performance, with any firmware installed on this system, if you can keep the temps controlled, this laptop IS one of the best performing systems you can buy today! Fact!
    And if a user doesn't know that drivers updates and BIOS updates shouldn't be done "automatically with windows updates and Dell support updates", then they shouldn't come anywhere near a high powered systems like this... Macbook should be their calling... not this behemoth!

And finally, for people with short memories, remember, a 9900k cannot be properly cooled even on a desktop computer. Have a look at Hardware Unboxed's graph below:

So, if a few laptops did burn out initially with such chips running within the confined spaces of a laptop, I've already forgiven Dell/AW about it because the burning reports have completely disappeared since June. The reason I choose to forgive Dell for their mishaps is not because I'm loyal to them, screw them and their policies, I choose to forgive them because I'm happy they at least tired to make an high end enthusiast class laptop which we've all been waiting for 5 years plus and I'm very happy with what they achieved to do with it.

I, for one, am a proud owner of a Area 51m for years to come. This will also be my last laptop ever because by the time this hardware is EOL, I will be building a desktop after 20 years as I won't be moving to a new country every 2 years and will retire back to my Himalayas peacefully.
    [​IMG]

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2019
    Tim V., lostclusters, c69k and 3 others like this.
  3. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    System BIOS v1.3.2 and VBIOS v1.0.0.3 200W

Spartan likes this.
  4. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's the same with the Aw17R5 thread too, everything is under one roof, and it is hard to find something. But it is the easy option, there is no cataloguer maintaining posts and threads.

raz8020, cope123abc and Spartan like this.
  5. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought the Alienware m51 in February an have had no issues at all, I’m on bios 1.3.2 and original vbios 190w. I haven’t re pasted it, although I am tempted but as it’s working all ok I’m reluctant.

I have repasted previous Alienwares 17 r3,r4,r5 however m51 has the best temps.

The gpu does get hot, but never over 84c an usually holds at 80c on average. Not great but not bad an does not throttle. Also it’s clocked as standard higher then recent vbios updates. See image.

Maybe early batches were ok? Who knows ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    VoodooChild and S.K like this.
  6. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I've deleted a few posts from this thread. Enough with the back and forth arguing. It's cool to have opinions, but we aren't here to push those opinions on to other people. If it continues, we can hand out a small vacation time from posting...

7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Try some undervolts. I'm sure you'll drop those temps very nicely. Start with 925mV at 1900 MHz and tweak your way from there for the GPU. For CPU, you could use -100mV undervolt easily on stock clocks.

8. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sure, but it's still nice to have when needed.

To flash a old FW in a perfectly working system seem very stupid IMO, so I know I won't try it at least.

S.K likes this.
  9. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    After swapping the speakers with those from my old dead unit
    After swapping the audio board with the one from my old dead unit

I still hear this saturating sound on voices... well, I'll let it as it... I swapped enough pieces of hardware :D

Going to have fun with this beast now... Last time I've spent 3 hours gaming on PUBG and Overwatch full details @ 3440x1440 and it was great, proud to own that laptop ;)...

After this 3 hours session (full speed fan + fan stand) and with ambiant temps lowered my max temp on GPU reached to 83c max... lowering to 81 / 82 on less requiring games

Repad and Repaste teached me a lot on how I can optimize my hardware, and to know this machine better ;)

FXi and Fire Tiger like this.
  10. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What monitor do you have if you don't mind me asking?