*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    In your AWCC games library, click on the culprit game and underneath that, select "No Theme" from the themes menu. See if that helps. I personally don't add any games in AWCC and only use it to control fan profiles so I don't have any such issues so far.

FXi likes this.
  2. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can believe that. They ought to make using LM invalidate your warranty. Dismantling the machine carries risks, even without using LM, and a good design would allow you to replace battery, RAM, SSDs etc without needing to open up the whole laptop. In the past they used to place seals on equipment to stop people from tinkering.

But it is not only Dell using those components, we should be seeing other machines catching on fire too. And the way I see it, if Dell could point the finger at someone else, eg ON Semi or Ti etc, they would rather that, than risk youtube videos with A51ms on fire. There is a standard procedure called a "recall" for these cases. But Dell has kept very silent, trying to swipe under the carpet, "normal failure rates" and all that, yeah right, every time I buy a laptop I consider smoke and fire a "normal" failure :)

But manufacturers are sometimes known to drag their heels.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-whirpool-admits-800000-tumble-17799117

3. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    You can replace battery, ram, SSD, wifi card, screen, speakers, audio board as well as sata drive (in fact, even the BIOS button battery) on Area 51m without opening anything except the back panel. In fact, if you take the ribcage off, you can even replace the entire chassis WITHOUT ever touching the heat sink assembly which I find pretty neat. Underneath that, you can replace absolutely everything including keyboard and touchpad, without having to re-paste.

And regarding bad components, that can happen to any brand, not just Dell, as you rightly said. Personally I feel that this was the first iteration and Dell's first experiment with their own proprietary graphics card form factor due to which I am compelled to give them additional leverage, more than I'd give to any other vendor who is just copy-pasting nVidia's blue-print onto their motherboard and calling it a day. Designing a proprietary graphics card daughter board and making it run at full specs without ANY support from nVidia requires some serious innovation and for that, I commend Dell. I think what they have achieved with DGFF in the very first iteration of products is going to disrupt this otherwise monotonic industry to the core and all the other complacent competitors will now be forced to innovate which is good for us as consumers. This is precisely why I tend to admire this step by Dell, regardless of the initial glitches that might have been there, but warranty covered them for everyone so it's all good.

These are all speculations. Nobody knows for sure yet. For now I'd say just enjoy what you have. 9900K has plenty of horsepower for 2-3 years to come, unless one is compulsively upgrading on every CPU launch just for the heck of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2019
  5. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It does not seem to work. Those games that have 3rd party support for AlienFX seem to override anything setup in AWCC.

6. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Then the only possible workaround seems to be disabling AWCC completely when playing those games, or try tinkering inside their settings. Can you name a game that does that? I am yet to encounter this problem.

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    This was interesting. But the crippled BIOS "update" 1.5.4 who you say is "optional" is OLD! Dell have put out newer firmware market as URGENT with same target (stop the smoke). And where did bro @jclausius mentioning old Bios version 1.5.4 ? And if he did, does it matter?

upload_2019-7-12_18-52-13.png

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    raz8020 and jclausius like this.
  8. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Like you said, rolling out BIOS updates to keep the power down and the real problem masked, shouldn't be allowed to be done, should be forced to do a full recall and rightly so against any affected machine, which there will be no doubt a full database of machines from said date to another that needs a proper fix.

raz8020, jclausius and Papusan like this.
  9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Those bios "updates" are "optional" and NOT mandatory. This is why 1.5.0 is not locked. :D And what is the basis for your "recall" idea? My machine works perfectly. Why'd I give it back when it has no defects? Recall is only done when there are consistent defects across the board on ALL machines. This case doesn't even remotely qualify for a recall.

10. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Either way - going back to my original post, all the blaming the amateur enthusiast in the world wouldn't come close to the probably 5% of affected machines going up in smoke, that's a poor excuse and not valid given the evidence so far.
    it's clearly a GPU component issue if you asses most of the cases, and paying $4k+ for a system, should demand the utmost quality control and after service.

If you buy a car and they know it's got a potential safety issue a recall is FORCED, this should be no different.

There should be no excuse, don't get me wrong. I have probably had over 500+ Alienware machines in my hands since 2010, and I'm on the whole a big fan of the brand.

however, the way this issue was dealt with, stinks of secrecy and it being simply "sell and forget"

What about those who took a 1 year warranty on a few $$ system, and it blows after that 1 year, i doubt a post by (soon to be ex-employee Frank) is gonna save your bacon

raz8020, jclausius, Vasudev and 2 others like this.