*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here is the record :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LE9eG74oUczGapB9_p2cl4gp0-UhlIjX

If you listen closely, you'll hear when his voice reach F ("...Few reasons..."), S ("...Synthesizers...") syllable sounds speakers are producing a strange sound saturated on high, a distorted, sputtering or crackling sound.

TBH I had the same sound experience with the original speakers and I swear I didn't change anything on those speakers on the swapped unit :/

I'm asking myself if I'm not going to pick the old sound card from the dead unit to see if it's improving.

I know it's not a big thing, but once you hear the default you're only hearing this...

For songs it's also very noticeable, song like Lonely Day of System of a Down, where the intro is calm with a clean voice, you can hear the saturation on high pitch notes of the singer and it's kinda ruining the sound :/

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I believe the stories told by QUICKSORT, Voodoo, and many of the others here on NBR who say the system up and died while watching a movie or running idle. I'm pretty certain our members with a pretty good track record of posts DID receive a lemon Area 51m... and it went up in smoke either due to poor engineering/manufacturing of the system and its components or incorrectly applied production in Dell's facilities just like they said. They're not liars.

There are too many reports of burned up / dead Area 51m systems, and there are just not that many ppl who start fiddling with thermal pads / material right out of the box. The numbers suggest something else than the end-user causing this problem. Now, I'm sure there may be a few bad actors in this bunch (or posts made in other places), but that number is most likely in low single digits (percentage wise).

Thinking Dell is a white knight, spotless of any misdoing and would own up of their own mistakes is naive. I don't believe Dell is 100% culpable in all cases, but their actions do suggest there's something up (ie. changing BIOS settings to get around design faults). As they say, "let the buyer beware." That goes with the Area 51m until things seem to turn around.

We can agree to disagree. The NBR members should read up on all the information, and decide for themselves.

Papusan likes this.
  3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    That's an utterly false conclusion considering the fact that usually only those people revert to forums who are either enthusiasts (a minority) or are having issues. The silent majority is usually away from forums. But I am not here to change your perspective, and neither are you going to change mine. The fact remains that nobody is perfect and this kind of ridiculous criticism must come to an end that is borderline destructive and instead of appreciating an innovation such as DGFF, everyone is just bashing Dell. I don't have any Dell stocks because I don't have that much free time at my disposal to fiddle with that stuff but I do think that innovation should be admired and not bashed. This basher mindset has been continuously hurting innovation as innovators end up discontinuing what they tried to do good just because the very people for whom they did it, did not deserve it in the first place. And by the way, that BIOS "update" 1.5.4 is *optional* in case you didn't realize. That is why version 1.5.0 is not locked like previous versions. In my firm opinion, all the bashers deserve to be stuck with Max-Q for life.

P.S., The moment Dell offers a replacement for burned unit, there remains no more room for criticism. None at all. Full stop. Period. It's just plain rhetorical at this point to bash Dell for QC and conveniently ignoring hundreds of cases where conductonaut ruined motherboards are claimed under warranty and Dell still replaces them. But well, this seems to be the age where baseless rants are considered as something cool and admirable.

4. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @VoodooChild Sorry to bump this, but how did you disable the service?

Also, what calibration profile do y'all use for the AUO panel?

5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Manually calibrate the panel using windows 10 built-in calibration tool. It should be plenty good for all practical purposes. As far as disabling that service goes, why would you want to disable it in the first place? It doesn't consume that many resources anyway and once you set things up, even if you close AWCC, the settings are retained within the firmware and still work if you boot into linux for example with no AWCC. I am not able to get your motive behind disabling that service.

6. Muyfa666

Reputations:
    I want to disable it to get rid of AlienFX custom colors in some games.

7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    If you want to totally disable it, you can simply select "GO DARK" option in the Active System Theme menu at the bottom of AWCC Home screen. It will turn off everything.

8. Muyfa666

Reputations:
    Right, but I don't want to disable the lightning, only prevent games from hi-jacking it to strange colors.

S.K likes this.
  9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    You can try AWCC related services in Windows services. Press Windows Logo + R and type "services.msc" in Run box. Once there, look for AWCCService and Stop + Disable it.

10. Muyfa666

Reputations:
    But this will also disable the whole AW Command Center too, not just custom lightning?