*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    It should be obvious by now that there were multiple issues with the 2080 cards.

1) Bad Components (low end with lower operating voltage, spikes caused them to blow up)

2) Thermal pads (some 2080 were without thermal pads making contact, causing the components to burn)

It could also be the combination of the two. AW decided to release a firmware update to keep temps & power down.

Newer models from June onward should hopefully not have any issues.

S.K likes this.
  2. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone have that kind of behavior with the speakers or audio of their Area51m ? :

For me the sound is sputtering on voices / high end of spectrum, but I manage to "repair" it temporarily by switching the audio drivers to another position (multiple times) from 16bits to 24bits, something like that....

After a while, the problem came back...

I've changed the speakers with the one I had on the old unit, so I don't think it's the speakers, but something like a driver issue or an EQ feature (the one in AWCC I'm using)....

3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I personally don't use any of these laptop speakers so haven't noticed. For me, Anker Soundcore 2 (30 dollar or so) speakers work the best! WAY better than ANY laptop out there. And quite cheap so I rock a couple of them around my laptop when listening to loud audio / music. Mostly for my toddler when she wants to listen to her favourite rhymes :D but for gaming, I almost always use my Sony WH-1000XM3's.

phusy likes this.
  4. Nomadsan74

Reputations:
    Yeah I got Bose headphones for traveling and Mackie cr5bt for home, but when I'm at work in my headquarters, I like to have some music without using headset or aditionnal speakers, and those have nice sound... when it's not having that issue :/

S.K likes this.
  5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    While swapping the speakers, did you make sure that the rubber dampener washers were properly installed? Without them installed properly, the speaker assembly will crackle on lower frequency range outputs and ruin the listening experience. Also, these speakers are not the most ideal for bass-rich music so I guess lowering the volume a little bit will help when listening to something with heavy low-end bass in it.

Nomadsan74 likes this.
  6. Nomadsan74

Reputations:
    Yes I took time to make sure they were properly installed as the disassembly manual stated. My problems is with voices and mid/high range, not low range :/

7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    That too. Anything that resonates with the speaker grill in the front will make the listening experience less pleasurable. Could you play a sample track that creates this problem for your particular case and share a recording from the laptop speakers and also the track so that I or somebody else could try and reproduce it? If reproduced, may be we could look into ways to fix it more efficiently.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  8. Nomadsan74

Reputations:
    Ok ! I will use my studio microphone to be sure you can hear it :)

For me @55% volume and 50% video volume on youtube that video is clearly saturating on the voice range more than it's suppose to be :

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    S.K likes this.
  9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Thanks! I'll give it a go and let you know how it sounds on my machine.

10. phusy

phusy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    +1 like for Sony WH-1000XM3. I'm using it and I'd love it too. Especially in noise-cancelling feature when I can enjoy my game without bothering by the sound from the dual fan of the alien machine :D

FXi, Rei Fukai and S.K like this.