*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. corona2172

corona2172 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Ah ok. I'm sure that it was simply a case of a bad laptop rather than me undervolting. It just scared me since it died 6 hours after an undervolt. Well, wish me luck and thanks for the response.

2. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Ahh, very true, I forgot about that...
    That was on the VRAM not the mosfets of the VRM. So again that was different. VRAM wouldn't burn like mosfets would.

I highly suggest that one learns how to repad. If they cannot l, then I suggest taking it to a shop that can do it. There are many local repair shops in most cities that can do it for a reasonable price.
    Ya ya, we shoulnt have to, but with the way corporate logistics are, I'd rather just fix it myself and enjoy the system in a solid reliable state.

XatanĂº and S.K like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ven-core-temps-due-to-uneven-heatsink.797477/

"The proof that supports my original theory of the heat sink being uneven due to the thermal pads being too thick on the FET's above the CPU is true. You'll have to use a thinner thermal pad to allow the heat sink to seat properly"

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...5r3-disassembly-repaste-guide-results.797373/
    [​IMG]

All the TRIPOD AW models had same/similar issues.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    jclausius and Darkhan like this.
  4. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    I have fixed many many of those systems and some even with a band new heatsink that never has been installed, and has proper measured pads, the heat sink would still fit uneven often and lead to core differentials. Because of this, I would say it was tripod issue before I would even go the route of blaming improper pads. That is just referring to uneven contact on the dies.
    There was an issue where the pads sometimes did not make enough contact on the VRAM chips on the GPU, which has had he just mentioned caused stuttering. These are two separate issues.
    With, this system is a different story I blame pads. The more time passed with burning, the more pictures of the burning of the fets I saw, the more it sounded eerily like the EVGA 1080 mosfets fiasco. The R4 and the EVGA cards are good samples of what I mean with pads. If they are not properly on fets they can fail spectacularly. (i.e. burns, smoke, or instant death). When they are not properly on VRAMS or if GPU/GPU dies are not properly cooled they just throttle / under perform.

Lopt, FXi and Papusan like this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Her is the proper "Stuttering" thread... http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...gtx1080-in-game-random-stutter-freeze.804499/

"The problem lies with the thermal pads covering the power delivery circuits, VRM, FETs. Again, for those who followed iunlock's guide blindly, you are in for a nasty surprise. i must stress here again, NOT ALL HEATSINKS ARE CREATED EQUAL"

I don't know if the Heatsink have variable quality on the Area models. If Dell add same pads all over on all laptops some will have/run into problems. If its the uneven heatsink quality you shouldn't blame it on the pads.

Edit. I forgot to add in... Have Dell changed pads for the Area models?

raz8020, jclausius, Darkhan and 2 others like this.
  6. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Interesting. You do make a good point. It would be interesting to see the sinks and the pads of the failed / burnt systems to see how they are making contact and the evenness of the sinks.
    Regardless, my focus is usually selfish lol. I'm not an engineer with a goal of trying to change Dell or their design. I just want a system that is reliable and solid. If in that process I find a way to do this for myself, I share it. Since its an uphill logistically daunting task to get any giant corporate conglomerate to change something that might require a huge cost in an industry that moves so fast to the next product, I'd rather just find some solutions to work with what we have. As of now upgrading the pads to better thermal conductivity and more of a proper fit seems like it does the job.
    Your suggestion sounds like it is a plausible reason for the issue. Different pads does seem like it would compensate for an uneven heat sink.

S.K and Papusan like this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    From old of I mean Dell used soft pads who was very forgiven regarding uneven heatsink quality. But not sure if they use same/similar quality pads nowadays.

As you can see from the burned out DGFF graphics card the pads have more than good enough imprint.
    upload_2019-7-12_5-15-22.png

raz8020, c69k, jclausius and 3 others like this.
  8. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If those pads left an imprint, and the other examples did too. Then surely this rules out the fix being adjustment to the thermal pads?

It would backup the MOSFETS being potentially inadequate for the job?

jclausius, Darkhan, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I like my Auo panel and really don't have much to complain, although I have been a victim of dead pixels with this panel + massive light bleed which was mostly QC issue as the screen was not properly installed within the bezel. And as far as brightness goes, unless you wear 5 pairs of sun glasses at once on top of each other, you should be VERY OK with the max brightness on this panel. I personally find it pointless to have a blinding max brightness option in modern panels because that is not a real life usage scenario (unless you use your machine outdoors in the afternoon under bright scorching sun, trying to outshine that massive furnace with your max knits). Most of us will have brightness somewhere close to the half mark anyway, unless carrying out eye-strain benchmarks on our own eyes.

How many thieves admit publicly that they've done a robbery on so-and-so date? None. If somebody messed things up, they'll NEVER admit it. Otherwise they'd void their warranty. So, the easiest way out is to blame it on the manufacturer and play innocent victim. I've seen it enough to feel that this is the norm these days. Buy a new machine, ruin it, and then shed crocodile tears. I'm sure that there were QC issues with SOME of them. Which brand doesn't have these issues? Nobody is perfect (and warranty covers them anyway). But saying that only angels buy these computers and Dell is the little sibling of satan is ridiculous.

You had great temps? How are you so sure when half of the key power components don't even have temp monitoring circuitry on them? :D

Which batch DGFF card did you have? Are the mosfets NCP-303150 pr NCP-303151?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2019
    FXi and Dc_Striker like this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    I haven't seen many pics of burnt cards (people discover the smoke and call Dell Support without posting what's up)... I expect that the components was the main culprit (remember also there is almost no air flow around the mentioned components). From what you have seen in the thread... Dell have used at least two or 3 different component versions/revisions on the DGFF cards. Same also for the MB power delivery components.

Then we can go back to what I have said before... Dell try as hard they can to reduce RMA numbers/bad reputation with crippled (with nice help from Microsoft) firmware. I'm very sure THEY know very well there is loads of bad components out there in many of the Area laptops. Imagine how this would look like if Dell didn't throw out the new firmware to try stop the Smoke:) And all know AW with those higher up has been quiet as oysters on this delicate smoke problem.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Darkhan likes this.