*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If the number is quite smali... Then, Why would Dell cripple the firmware? This doesn't fits! Dell did the same for the XPS models from last year. Problems = new firmware who will handle the increased RMA numbers. Pure simple! There is NO need for releasing firmware who change power/temp limits to the worse "if this isn't a problem".

See........ post here <(but not suddenly dropping the GPU throttle temperature with an irreversible BIOS update months after launch without notifying customers like they did with the 9570)>

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    bennyg, raz8020, jclausius and 3 others like this.
  2. Dc_Striker

Dc_Striker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Question, since you have been around those 5 systems, which panel do you think is the best?

3. yaboul

yaboul Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry guys chasing a bit on my request. Any suggestion ?

4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Use this guide to downgrade to locked lower bios versions. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ny-alienware-to-locked-lower-versions.829542/

And, there is very minimal difference performance wise between 1.3.2 and 1.5.0, however personally I prefer 1.3.2 over 1.5.0 based on my testing. But there are people here who are happy with 1.5.0 so it's really your personal preference between these 2. And all 200W VBios are the same. I am on version 1.0.0.2 and quite happy with it.

Dc_Striker likes this.
  5. Dc_Striker

Dc_Striker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was asking about the displays, AUO LG or Chei.

I'm using 1.3.2 with 200w. Thanks to your post, I was able to downgrade to 1.3.2.

S.K likes this.
  6. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    I have seen two samples of the LG, two samples of the AUO, and one sample of the Chi Mei / Innolux (new EYESAFE).

Here are my findings and opinions:
    Chi Mei: This panel has EYESAFE so if you are one that loves warmer colors and is an advocate of low blue light levels than this is the panel for you.
    When uncalibrated with its low blue light levels its a whopping 400 nits. (it should be noted that panels in general will have a higher whitepoint brightness when calibrated to a warmer color temperature.) Once calibrated to more normal blue light levels (6500k - 7500k), the nits goes down to 300 - 320 nits.)
    I personally dislike this panel. The color profile to lower the blue light is hard coded and supposedly there might also be a film that also makes the colors warmer.
    While I was able to calibrate the panel to my liking, I was essentially fighting the hard coding and the film for proper color I like. Plus I'm sure many know often software like games can fight ICC profiles, or ignore them all together when in full screen. I personally think its better to have a panel that is out of the box closest to your preferred color profile.
    It should be noted that these panels might be the panels that come with the systems going forward. This is suspected because all of the 144Hz panels now say EYESAFE technology.
    So in the least bit, if they are not all Chi Mei panels, going forward they are indeed now hardcoded with warmer color temperatures, and possibly a bluelight reducing film.
    Knowing what panel that @VoodooChild gets might add to further confirmation of this either way.

LG: This panel is has some better color vibrancy. I initially liked the way this panel looked when it comes to colors and games looked in general when compared to the AUO.
    This panel had more nits (brighter than the AUO) also. However, after doing some testing on the panels, I discovered this panel has some color banding at various color calibration temperatures that was for sure a characteristic of the panel as it happened on both panels. You can see it yourself by using a monitor testing program like PassMark monitor test, and doing the scale black to color tests. When doing these tests its best to do them on an uncalibrated screen. Often calibration looks better but then changes the way gradients look as they are outside of the how they hard calibrated when produced. These banding issues caused me to be turned off by this panel.

AUO: This panel in my opinion is well rounded and is my personal preference. None of them had dead pixels like others have suggested they might be prone to. While its not the brightest of the bunch. with its calibrated brightness around 300nits, it was still as advertised and still looked good to me. (One was 302 Calibrated and one was 315 Calibrated)
    Out of the box they came pretty close to about 7000k color temperature and when calibrated it was not a very drastic change needed. The banding was fine unless color calibrated to something crazy etc. Also for me the ones I had encountered had the least amount of bleed. (not to be confused with IPS glow) With that said, the bleeding had nothing to do with the panel at all. Bleeding comes from how the panel is in the lid so it technically could have happened to any of the others, and can be resolved by manipulating the bezel / panel / lid.

Response time for all: All panels have around the same response time. While I will say that technically LG is ever so slightly slower.
    (Or one could say the AUO and Chi Mei/Innolux are ever so slightly faster) It would be very difficult to actually notice as its extremely close.
    You would need to have the panels side by side and do many movements to even notice the blur difference. So in my opinion I would not worry about response time when it comes to panels.

c69k, VoodooChild, raz8020 and 4 others like this.
  7. Dc_Striker

Dc_Striker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you for your input.

8. corona2172

corona2172 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi guys, some of you might remember my little area 51m issue a few months ago. But, before I ask my question, a quick recap of my issues:
    1. I received my first area 51m (2080 and 9900k) in early April. After 5 days of usage (no changing thermal paste, or pads, etc---never opened) and while simply idling, my 2080 died. Black screen. So, Dell sent me a new GPU.
    2. I received that GPU late April, put it in and replaced everything with new Kryonaut. The laptop was cooler and worked great, but the CPU temps would still spike to 99c quite often on many different games at full settings. So, I followed advice on this forum and undervolted to -100mv using Intel XTU as per the received advice. I played Empyrion for about 6 hours, amazed that the temps had dropped so low, and even noticed increase in performance. However, after that 6 hour (on and off, not straight) stint of gaming, the computer simply cut off with no signs of life. It would not show life again. Ultimately, Dell ruled it a dead motherboard but said they couldn't really diagnose from there. Luckily, they were willing to give a replacement.

So, I receive my new laptop about 2 weeks ago. It has had no issues as of yet. The laptop shipped with the 1.5.4 bios and 1.0.0.5 vbios. Obviously, I immediately noticed the cap of 74c for the GPU, but I've noticed no difference in gaming. However, this CPU is slightly hotter than the last. Playing Monster Hunter World or Far Cry 5, after about 30 minutes the CPU stays at about 95c with spikes to 100c occasionally happening. Obviously this concerns me. Now, to my question:

I understand that undervolting is a safe procedure. I also know that my last laptop obviously had a few issues innately. However, I am paranoid to undervolt now since, last time I did, my whole computer died 6 hours later. So.......

Given that scenario, would you all still recommend I try to undervolt again? I know it is safe, and I'm probably being unreasonable, but I am paranoid to undervolt when it died hours later last time I did it. I know it was probably coincidence but... yeah. So, ideas?

jclausius likes this.
  9. Dc_Striker

Dc_Striker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My motherboard died as well, I had great temps but I have the 9700k with 2080. No OC on cpu or gpu and the computer died while playing Metro so don't worry about undervolting the cpu.

jclausius likes this.
  10. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the 17 r4 had similar issues with GTX 1080'S Throttling with Dell's crappy heatsink design, fixed it myself - no more stuttering etc.

Question ???

Why were these systems not blowing up too then if it's just thermal pad related and poor contact?

It sounds like @S.K is saying most of the users having issues are ones who have been messing with the laptops, most cases I have seen, not one person has been under the hood?

I think it's more a case of poor components used personally, and rolling out sneaky revisions later down the line...

@DeeX @S.K

jclausius likes this.