*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Testa

Testa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Nice to know you also do 3D rendering with your machine, this was my reason to get this machine too, and my also is early march, unfortunally it gets 101c if I leave it rendering. I have undervolt it, but even just undervolting it the maximum I can, I still get very hot temps and also hits 101c. the only way I can leave the machine rendering for hours is undervolting but also limiting my speed to around 4.2ghz maximum clock, in that way I can get my temps around 90c maximum.

hmscott likes this.
  2. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    LOL i'm guessing SK on that post is @S.K on here.

If you honestly think the volume of defective units is down to a "myth" and purely thermal pad related, you are deluded.

Papusan and jclausius like this.
  3. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Some games seem to take over the keyboard lightning. I guess it's a feature. but I'd rather disable it if possible. Anyone knows?

VoodooChild likes this.
  4. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've tried it for many weeks and failed miserably. There is no solution afaik other than disabling the AlienFX service before launching the game. Metro Exodus is the worst of them all....

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

5. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Will standard lightning still work if I disable the service?

I cannot find any AlienFX service. How do you disable it?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  6. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know if I'll have enough patience to open it for the 6th time :D

But last time, I was waiting for phobya nanogrease extreme to ship and I resigned myself to use Kryonaut because it shipped to late. But now I've got this thermal paste and if I order Panasonic pads and Fujipoly, both could do a great improvement..

Can you indicate me the references you used ?
    Can I order it in Europe/France ? Amazon ?

Edit : I found ‎EYG-T7070A20A‎ on this thread :

Ordered 2 ‎x P121373-ND‎ / ‎EYG-T7070A20A‎ THERM PAD 70MMX70MM W/ADH BLACK
    From Digikey

And 2 Fujipoly... 1mm&1.5mm

With Phobya Nanogrease Extreme.... If that doesn't improve temps.... I'll stop there :D

Thanks for your answers

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    VoodooChild, Fire Tiger and S.K like this.
  7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I don't think so. Without proper cooling and half of the chips not even making contact to the heat sink, when one runs "benchmarks", that's it. It takes guts to admit that one made a mistake. It's quite easy to blame everyone else over your own mistake.

I used Ubuy to import it in Singapore as it wasn't up for grab for my location on Amazon. You can do the same if you find that a certain listing on Amazon is not available for your country. Ubuy seems to be an awesome workaround.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2019
  8. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm a bit confused. By this, do you mean it takes guts for Dellienware to admit the mistake (which I don't believe they've publicly addressed) and quite easy for Dell to blame everyone else for Dell's mistake?

This seems like a manufacturing issue. IIRC, the posts where were units that came directly from Dellienware. So any improper cooling and application of thermal material all comes from Dell's production facility, correct?

9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    It is both. But I haven't seen any person whose computer died and Dell didn't entertain them with a replacement. So there is nothing "wrong" at the end of the day. On the other hand, I have seen people killing their machines by improper thermal upgrades and then blaming the manufacturer (if you remember those "thermal upgrades" from some of the re-sellers that were discussed here). That is plain wrong. Last week I was talking to a friend of mine who is in Dell support and he told me that there are so many cases with Alienware lineup of laptops where people drop liquid metal into the motherboard and when it stops working, they claim warranty. He told me that there could potentially be a workaround for this upcoming in the new machines where liquid metal induced damage will no longer be entertained under warranty. I wonder how they'll achieve it but that's something which needs to be in place so people can't abuse their warranty. And, it's only fair. It's no day and night in the end. Mostly, users are at fault for frying their machines and this cannot be related to units that came faulty out of the factory because they were replaced anyway and the number is QUITE small compared to the other. It's unfortunate that whining over own mistakes has become a culture these days.

Xatanú likes this.
  10. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    It's not that it's a myth
    Read again what he said. He didn't say it was a myth. He said it was thermal parts causing the problem as opposed to defective design. This is surely the problem. Multiple people with multiple samples have essentially proven it.

In a similar situation, Google "1080 evga burning thermal pads" you will see that a couple of years ago, essentially the same thing happened with EVGA 1080 desktop cards. Mosfets were burnkng because they got too hot. The fix was proper thermal pads and pad contact.

If you look at the cases of the burns on the A51M they happen in the same locations.
    Between myself, my friends, and my family we have had 5 systems. All have been repadded with proper pad contact, all have BIOS version 1.5.0, and all have the 200W VBIOS. 3 of them are the original launch systems. Not a single one has burned.