*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Debating whether going with the 65W cpu and a cooler/quieter system is worth it vs the 95w varieties.

In particular this relates to the Comet lake which does seem to be incoming.

2. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey there ! ;)

Came here once again to read some updates of NBR users ;)...

Seems like things are going well for more users now..

I'm still very happy of my 51m, i9-9900k & RTX 2080 combo is great... I started to look to the future now, backuping my Windows 10 install on my N.A.S...

I've seen a lot of good temperatures here, I'm never reaching 80s on cpu but I'm always on the 83/84 on gpu both on undervolt, but anyway... I tried my best with repad&repaste, so it seems like I can't help more ;).

Yesterday I heard some sizzling coming from the front speakers when I was playing music at a normal level, seems like turning the audio drivers to 16bits/96Khz solved the problem, that's good for me, I've an external Scarlett 2i4 2nd gen USB to drive my home speakers If I wan't more sampling anyway...

Hope you guys enjoy your laptop as I am, Do you have any questions you would like I ask/update to Umar ? (except 2400Mhz, I've already asked)

Amroth likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    It's Wccftech:rolleyes:

But if true the TDP will be increased for the fastest Cpu. This means new MB anyway.

Seen this? <contrary to the popular "smoke" beliefs. That's a bunch of BS>. If the "Smoke" problem wasn't real... Dell wouldn't spend time, resources and try whatever they can (with nice help from Micro$lope) to push out firmware with crippled settings to lower the RMA numbers.
    upload_2019-7-11_2-9-57.png

jclausius and Rei Fukai like this.
  4. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sure, ask him why the new motherboard bios releases are throttling the GPU when it hits 75c..

5. Frr

Frr Newbie

Reputations:
    This is just a rumor so it's not confirmed
    dell will probably have new boards as upgrades
    this chip probably wont be in any laptops tho it wouldnt be able to handle it since its still 14nm
    the 14nm 9900k gets extremely hot and some were burning out with 8 cores at over 5ghz I'm sure this would be worse lol

6. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    What's the verdict about the screen?
    I personally am not digging it lol.
    Bout to run some tests on it. :D

VoodooChild and c69k like this.
  7. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't received my shipment yet, Dell courier service screwed up the ETA and is currently sitting somewhere in Tilburg, Netherlands for the last 24 hours.

In any case, I don't know which panel I'm getting with this new one. I've a AUO panel from my old one sitting here so I do have the option of replacing it if I find the new one unsatisfactory...

Let us know about your findings, I'm looking forward to your report.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Rei Fukai likes this.
  8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I have a feeling that you'll be able to push the temps further down(assuming you have undervolts in place), the moment you switch to Panasonic thermal pads. They are really squishy and get compressed really easily under pressure which gives a tighter contact. I personally only use 1mm and 1.5mm Fujipoly pads. All the other places where 2mm or above are required, I go for Panasonics. I also noticed this temp rise in my case when I slightly tried to innovate and adjust thermal pad heights a little here and there, which sort of confirmed the thermal pad guide that I had initially posted.

Nomadsan74 and Rei Fukai like this.
  9. Vanya

Vanya Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What are the main differences between 1.3.2 and 1.5.0 regarding performances and throttling ?

10. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    None, and I knew that, but I still wanted to rule out any possibility. ;-)

Fire Tiger likes this.