*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    dying / smoking GPUs. New Rev. should be available since June2019.

2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    One of the major issues is stupidity and unprofessional thermal pad jobs.

This happens when you rely on a "reseller" for "thermal upgrades" and then beat the hell out of the poor machine with benchmarks without even realising that there is a barbecue going on within that chassis.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    etern4l likes this.
  3. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Was there any user investigations? What is overheating with smoke? I thought that if you catch 100C on cpu/gpu they will throttle or even self shutdown. And no issue will occur. Or its not cpu/gpu that overheats and melt plastic? What is it?

4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    It has been discussed in immense detail in this particular thread already. I'd say, take your time and go through the older posts. I don't find it particularly useful to beat the dead dinosaur all over again.

_deadbydawn_ and VoodooChild like this.
  5. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If it was discussed, how about to put a summary in the first post?

Okay, I found an answer:
    Raised wattage and improper cooling of mosfets. But I don't understand how they could leave a gap between them. Forgot to put thermal pads?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2019
  6. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
  7. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Circling back around on this...has anyone created a holder for both the 330w and 180w adapter? Would love for it to be one piece (don't care about thickness) rather the two it is now. And no I'm not going to spend $700 on that Eurocom 700w adapter lol.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Wrap velcro around them

9. yaboul

yaboul Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Just like lots of people on this topic, I was very happy with my area51m system (hopefully considering I payed 4.5k€). However things started to mess up with the 1.5.4 Bios update. It took me quite a while to make the link between the embarassing trottling and the Bios update but now looking at your comments I know the root causis.

I have downgraded successfully to 1.5 and it's already better. However I have heard best combination in terms of perfmorance is 1.3.2 BIOS + 200W VBIOS.

Currently i'm on 1.5 BIOS + 180W VBIOS. It is worth downgrading further down to get the "ideal" configuration ? Also can i downgrade the BIOS from 1.5 to 1.3.2 directly with the exe file just like I did from 1.5.4 ? It is worth downgrading the VBIOS as it seems the GPU runs lot cooler with minor impact on performance (i've seen 2-3%).

Are there any benchmarks out there between the bios versions so we can see the difference ?

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

10. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I finally cracked my 51M open to repaste it. Actually both the stock paste and pads looked quite ok. I only had to replace very few of them with thicker ones.

After finishing up, I ran Fire Strike and got 20991 points. Not awful, but I tested it at 22025 back in march. Temps are good good thou. CPU peaks at 75C and GPU at 77C. Room ambient temp is 25C.

What could the 1100 points less come from? I have bios 1.3.2 and vbios 1.0.0.3. Fan set to max for testing now, but the heat was noted at performance.

At max fan GPU max at 74C and CPU at 68C. Quite ok IMO.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Rei Fukai likes this.