*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Go with 1.5.0 and v1.0.0.3 for minimal throttling. Beware the risk of fire thou... ;-)

Darkhan, Papusan and Dc_Striker like this.
  2. Dc_Striker

Dc_Striker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The last one I had just went to black screen gpu died no fire or smoke lol.
    That's what I am running now, but for some weird reason im playiing Metro and i drop to 13 fps with thermals not even hitting 87C
    It hits 72 tops

Rei Fukai likes this.
  3. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    72 seems pretty low ! Repaste with LM ?

Or could it be a throttling effect that lower the GPU frequency ?

What's saying GPU-Z ?

4. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't repaded and repasted yet, but I plan to do it shortly. Considering the heatsink may have an irregular surface creating a variable gap between it and the mosfets as @S.K pointed out, and taking into account the mounting process could be partially or totally automated and the stock pads are standard for all the machines, it could be reasonable to think that all the burn issues were caused by pads not making proper contact with the heatsink. That, added to no undervolting. If I remember well, all or almost all burned laptops were running at stock voltages with no undervolt.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    S.K likes this.
  5. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Missed you guys too.... was engaged in some family burial , so was a bit choked

Except for Apple I think most companies run away when they see customers come back with issues , Apple wins them 97% of the time even for out of warranty repairs

Once I saw Azor left , I knew it was game over but heck am pushing my system above the limits , 5ghz all d time -120mv , zero GpU underclock rather overclock 125 and 500 , look if it burns it burns I move on to something else , I don’t wanna baby sit it . Am already disadvantaged by location let me enjoy myself before it explodes

I wish we could UV from bios , sad I have to UV every boot up and we don’t live where there is 24hr light else it will never go off forever

Just keep pestering them till u get all the parts u need , like SK said, if everything is working and u have some extra parts for a quick fix , I guess this is one of the best beast on ground at the moment , even better than Titan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2019
    DreDre and VoodooChild like this.
  6. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Confusing. Isn't it? Phobya makes it, but would you get a different batch depending on where you are located. See http://www.performance-pcs.com/brand--phobya for additional info.

But you should be able to find it on amazon, newegg (US anyways) frozen-CPU, and a couple of German sites as well.

IIRC, some of those ideas for blocking liquid metal were covered here - http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...r-liquid-metal-safety-insurance-guide.817207/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  7. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone knows why this happens? So quite often my PC wakes up within 3 seconds after going to sleep. This only started to happen last couple weeks
    Event viewer doesn't show any warning or error, a successful sleep and a normal wake up.

I checked what woke my pc up using powercfg. and it always gives this, for when it wakes up in that manner:
    Friendly Name: Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)

I have a single USB 3.0 hub connected to my pc (the one in my external monitor, to which my keyboard and mouse is attached to, and that's it) and nothing else. I tried disconnecting it. But that didn't solve the issue. Even without any usb device attached to it I could reproduce the issue.

I went into the device manages and Seeing this:
    [​IMG]

That's the only place where I saw the mentioned devices.
    I went into their properties and disabled "allow this device to wake up this pc".
    And did that for the both Intel 3.1 Controllers.

That didn't solve the problem. SO I also disabled the Nvidia one. But again without success.

Anyone knows this issue? Or how I could solve this?

8. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    That's very reasonable considering the burns have been on the same mosfets.
    Also all the originally released machines that myself and my friends have, which have replaced proper pads, have not had any issues.

Which gap are you referring to?

Xatanú likes this.
  9. Dagr

Dagr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Any word on what this 1.6.2 bios includes / how it's working for people? My CPU seems to be running hotter by a few degrees but nothing terribly disconcerting (just sucks that I can't seem to play many games without fans blasting, but that's the nature of the beast I suppose). GPU thermals remain fine (2070 here).

10. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The gap between the mosfets and the heatsink. I mean the surface of the heatsink is irregular in some cases and the distance between it and each mosfet is different for each one and each machine. In some cases 1.5mm pads seem to fill the gap perfectly while in other cases you may need 1mm or 2mm (in other cases maybe even more than 2mm is needed to make proper contact with the heatsink)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019