*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. cookiemonster52

cookiemonster52 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you seeing throttling on GPU clock speeds? CPU clock?

2. cookiemonster52

Reputations:

Wow, yea that is bizarre. I'm not aware of GPUs "kinda dying"...the fact that it still scored 14,080 on the graphics score says it is functioning (definitely not somehow running iGPU or anything). In AWCC, what are your OC settings for CPU and GPU? In afterburner, does the OC scanner work on the 51m? I haven't tested that on mine, but if it does, maybe run it and see what it will put your GPU at?

3. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, not at all.

I have a custom frequency profile for the 2080 - it tops out at 1900mhz and RTSS is showing somewhere around 1875 during the entire run.

CPU is LOCKED at 4.8GHz no issues or adjustments at all. Zero throttling. CPU never jumps above 77c on the benchmark.

4. cookiemonster52

Reputations:

I don't understand. If it isn't throttling, and everything is running at these speeds, how the hell are the scores so low? This is over my (admittedly limited) head...hopefully an expert here can chime in and help.

5. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's why I'm struggling to.

Clocks are high. Temps are good. No throttling. Full (90+% usage) on GPU.

Reduced frames in Overwatch and a FS score that's ~40% less than it was last time I tested. I'm stumped.

I did a re-install of OW; same thing. I may do a CC Clean on Nvidia drivers and try a reinstall there next, but need to head to work...

6. cookiemonster52

Reputations:
    Yea doing a DDU clean of your video drivers is the next easy check to make. Curious...are OW and 3DMark installed on the same drive? Do you have any other drives on the system? If so, perhaps run a game or bench that is stored on that drive and see results?

7. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try with older Nvidia drivers, I experienced a performance drop with the latests ones. Use DDU and try with the latests Dell's GPU drivers just to make sure if it's a software related problem or not. Those drivers from Dell are old but they work better for me.

8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Run a Dell diagnostic test to see if your GPU is actually running in x8. Looks like it is not. Or you could take a quick look at GPU-Z and see what it shows. I'd still advise you to run a diagnostic test (hold down FN key while powering up the machine)

Darkhan and Fire Tiger like this.
  9. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you on the new Bios? I tried it yesterday, ran firestrike score of 15k! I went back to 1.5.0 and back to 28k gpu score. I did not even try to investigate the issue as when I went back to older bios issue was gone.

LoneSyndal, Papusan and S.K like this.
  10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Have you noticed a difference between 1.3.2 and 1.5.0? I personally find 1.3.2 to be a little bit more snappy compared to 1.5.0. Also felt that average frame rate when playing games was a little bit higher (within margin of error but nonetheless).

Darkhan likes this.