*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I haven't tested the new bios version that just came out so can't comment on it yet. Has anyone tested it? Apparently it just has a bunch of security fixes that will likely slow the performance down a little bit (I suspect). It should be safe to install though since one can always go back to 1.3.2 using my bios downgrade guide.

Xatanú likes this.
  2. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't tested it, but I think it will maintain the same throttling at 74c for the GPU that the 1.5.4 introduced and slow down the CPU with the new security patches introduced by Intel to fix the latest vulnerabilities.
    I have no intention to upgrade the bios version unless they release a new one with support for 2666 MHz memory modules. Versions 1.3.2 and 1.5.0 seems to be very stable

Papusan, Darkhan and S.K like this.
  3. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I hope you are not really expecting them to do anything "good" for us. Azor lied to us and left to the dark side. :rolleyes:

LoneSyndal, Papusan and Darkhan like this.
  4. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't understand what you're complaining about really, it's a desktop 9900k processor which has issues running cool even on a water pumped desktop. How can you expect it to run cool on a 2" laptop?

My 9700k never went beyond 80c while gaming and rendering and I was using it @4.7Ghz on all cores with a -125mv offset. The GPU stayed below 75C @ 1950Mhz (925mV offset)
    I think its quite reasonable for a laptop considering the power it packs!

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

DreDre, MogRules, Fire Tiger and 4 others like this.
  5. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did a clean windows installation on the laptop. Installed Windows 10 LTSC to get of the annoying windows feature upgrades, cortana and so on.
    I installed all the drivers in the order that @Ultra Male pointed out and everything is working fine (I haven't tested thunderbolt yet) including the nahimic services (I didn't have to install them manually). Everything is working fine in the AWCC, including the FX and button to select the audio profile.
    I didn't install the Dell bloat such as support assist, OSD, upgrade assistant, etc.
    Didn't install Nvidia experience, I don't want more Telemetry crap, I prefer to download the drivers manually.

For the tweaks I applied you can take a look at this post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...xes-index-post-1.779394/page-99#post-10927263

6. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    He he, 1334 pages of fires, heat, throttling BIOS and you "don't understand" ? But I am not "complaining", I was floating an idea, which I think is obvious: have a "base station heatsink extension" - you'd just clip your laptop on to it while it is stationary on your desk and would run much cooler. Seeing as everyone has a laptop stand which already raises the back by 2-3", imagine if instead of a stand you had a base with an integrated heatsink extension and its own fans.

_deadbydawn_ and c69k like this.
  7. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Having an ... issue... with my A51M but not sure what's wrong.

Playing overwatch on the built-in 144hz display. Framerate in game is unlocked and does occasionally hit 160+ fps @ 1080p max settings, max FoV.

However, most the time my game is running about 90-120fps. It's totally playable. However, when I first got the machine I was hitting near 200fps at ALL TIMES in Overwatch.

I've scoured the settings. I've done a re-install.

HWINFO shows good temps (sub 60c at all times on GPU). Both power supplies are plugged in. Max performance in Nvidia panel and system panel.

Afterburner shows 98% GPU usage most the time.

CPU is locked at 4.8Ghz (9900k) on all cores. Temps are around 75c most the time when playing.

200w VBIOS. 1.3.2 BIOS.

No matter what I do, my frames are only 60-70% of what they once were.

I guess I'll play some other games and see how things go (determine if it feels system wide)... but I know SOMETHING is up.

8. cookiemonster52

cookiemonster52 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Just throwing this out there, doubt it's the problem, but you don't have anything set in your NVIDIA control panel global settings for supersampling or anything do you?

9. mattcube64

Reputations:
    Really appreciate the quick reply and the idea... but unfortunately, I've reviewed the global settings a few times now, and no, that's not enabled (nor are other performance killers).

10. mattcube64

Reputations:
    Woah woah woah.

Yeah, something is up. Big time. Ran a Firestrike. I don't remember all my scores, but I did upload one to IMGUR to share here when I got the machine.

Score at time of purchase: 24,447 with a graphics score of 28,187.
    Score today: 13,165 with a graphics score of 14,080.

WTF is going on?

Nvidia drivers are up to date. Nothing goofy operational wise. Machine is running smooth. Temps are great.
    Did my GPU kinda die? I've literally never run into something like this before. Surely it's just a setting... just not sure what it could be.