*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  2. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone try the new BIOS yet? Curious how perfomance is and how it compares to the less preferred, 1.5.4 BIOS.

3. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I only want moar powah. If it’s not as good as 1.3.2, count me out!

4. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    There are no quirks. Initially when first released older BIOS(s) didn't properly show overclock options for these K processors.
    That has since been resolved. Both the 8700K and the 8086K work perfect and show all BIOS options.

raz8020, Terreos and Papusan like this.
  5. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I guess nobody is interested in this “fake laptop king" anymore. Just give up this throttling weak crap and wait for the true king GT76.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. warcobra

warcobra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The first review of the GT76 is out from notebook check. Now I always wait for more then one but so far the temps of the gpu are not great cpu is a little better. The difference is not so great. Now to wait for more reviews, re pasting and of course mods for the msi. It will be fun to see how far people can take the GT76.

Rei Fukai and Xatanú like this.
  7. Megatherium

Megatherium Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi.

I'm mailing back an M17 I ordered from the outlet that had some serious thermal issues. When that's all done I'm going to go for the 51m instead.

The only decision left for me is the color. I kinda prefer the white but I'd rather have the dark one than a white one with stains.

Other than one person on reddit who posted about a staining problem, I don't see a lot of talk about how the finish holds up. Anyone else seen theirs collect grime or stains that can't just be wiped off?

8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    You gotta help me out lol

If you have TB3 working then iGPU should be able to work too since it doesn't rely on the dGPU for TB3 video output.

I am trying to use my Apple Thunderbolt display using the TB3 port. Works on my Clevo P870DM in macOS. If I can get TB3 working and then iGPU working with acceleration it'll be perfect.

Anything new in BIOS? 2666Mhz RAM support? LOL

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  9. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is very puzzling to me how they design these laptops to expel 300W-400W of heat with two tiny fans and a tiny heatsink.

There is ample space for an extra fan. There is room for bigger fans. And more importantly, there is a glaringly obvious design that would allow you to stand your laptop onto a base that would enhance its cooling capabilities. The laptop would snap-in to this base and the total size would be no different than using a laptop stand (ie extra 1.5"-3" height), which I believe most gamers use anyway.

Over to the AW17R5 forum, a user has glued extra passive heatsinks on the copper heat pipes on the underside of the laptop. These are 2-3mm thick heatsinks, as used on SSD drives, and do not make the laptop thicker. A laptop stand's fan blowing on these heatsinks from the underside would make a ton of difference, especially if this was designed and built at the factory and incorporated into the heatsink, and not simply a glue-on. If you want to see photos pop over to the AW17R5 forum.

Therefore, I wonder...

10. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Let's see how the GT76 responds, but the first review indicates it's not very promising. Despite the supposedly better cooling, the GPU temps are frustrating. The CPU may run cooler, but you will never need so much CPU power (5GHz on all cores) when coupling with the RTX 2080 for gaming.
    The area 51m throttles only if you are on > 1.5.0 BIOS.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019