*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OK, doesn't sound like an Earth-shattering improvement then. I'm already on Kryonaut - good performance all around unless I fire up CB20. Thanks for the info, might still be worth trying this paste if I need to run CB20-level loads on regular basis.

S.K likes this.
  2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Run Heaven benchmark on it for an hour or so to ensure stability. Usually it "looks" stable at the beginning until it crashes. :D
    P.S., I hope you are not going to lug it around anymore, because LM (especially conductonaut) can leak no matter how thin a layer you apply, if there is a sharp enough jerk given to the machine. I hope you used some kneaded eraser around the CPU with a foam dam on top with some liquid electrical tape to seal it off against the heat sink as well as a foam dam around the GPU. Don't pay heed to "Oh it never went bad for me" type of comments when using liquid metal because you won't see it coming when those silver goblets of doom decide to wreck your machine.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    etern4l and c69k like this.
  3. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Versions 1.0.0.1, 1.0.0.2 and 1.0.0.3 are exactly the same, they just changed the installer, but all are the same 200w ROM image. I checked that with a binary comparer.

As for the BIOS, all versions are still there, maybe you are not looking in the right place: http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/alienware-17-area51m-laptop.html

4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Yes this is where I looked a week or so ago when I saw that version 1.3.2 Bios and both the old VBios'es were gone! I wonder if they changed something in the new downloadable files or was it just a broken link by somebody's honest mistake! o_O

Edit: Just verified, the newly restored links have the same checksums as the old ones that I had locally. So this means somebody broke the links. But glad to have them all back online!

Rei Fukai likes this.
  5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Alienware Area-51m System BIOS 1.6.2

Fixes:
    - Firmware updates to address security advisories INTEL-SA-00213 (CVE-2019-0090, CVE-2019-0086, CVE-2019-0091, CVE-2019-0093 and CVE-2019-0098)
    - Firmware updates to address security advisories INTEL-SA-00233(CVE-2018-12126, CVE-2018-12127, CVE-2018-12130 and CVE-2019-11091)

Enhancements:
    - Not Applicable.

6. cookiemonster52

cookiemonster52 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick question that I think I know the answer to but not 100% on: my Area-51m came with the Killer 1550 wifi card. I purchased the 1650X card off Amazon to replace the 1550. I have no concerns about the physical installation process. On the software side, should I uninstall all the Killer stuff prior to swapping wifi cards? Or, if I install the card, will Windows automatically update the driver, etc.? Just wondering the best practice on this as I've actually never "upgraded" a wifi card within the same family of products (in this case Killer)...

7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Killer is just rebranded Intel cards with added bloatware to it. I'd buy AX200 or AX201 directly instead of going the killer route, but now that you have bought it, you should be good if you get rid of all the Killer bloatware and install the Intel drivers for that card. But that's my way of doing things. I tend to avoid unnecessary bloatware if I can.

8. cookiemonster52

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm aware these Killer cards are rebranded Intel cards. I would imagine the best way to do that would be to download the intel card drivers first (without installing), uninstall all the killer junk, then physically swap the wifi cards and install the intel drivers saved locally.

S.K likes this.
  9. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    These drivers should work if it wasn't automatically detected:

WLAN
    Bluetooth

When installing the WLAN Driver, uncheck the Killer Software.

Even if you install the Intel Drivers, that means NOTHING, Windows will still detect that you have a Killer Card and then automatically install the Killer Software for you, then you need to disable the Killer Networking Service, Killer Bandwidth Control service, and Xtend services and disable the Killer app from automatically running in the background.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

Oh and don't listen to SK, even if you had bought the Intel variant of this card, Windows will STILL offer the Killer Software and extensions automatically through Windows update and the Windows store since you have a Killer LAN in your laptop which you can't replace. :rolleyes:

@S.K

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  10. cookiemonster52

Reputations:
    Thank you. Now, in the past I've had issues with Killer cards/software and just replaced them with Intel or qualcom chips and drivers. But recently I haven't had any hiccups with any of the killer stuff. Beyond the fact that it's essentially pointless, is there any drawback to just running the killer software and drivers as-is for the 1650x?