*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you tried a MemTest for the memory ?

I'd say it doesn't sound good, black screen was a failure we already talked here but it's a case a litlle bit different as far as I remember because you can "recover" from it....

Even if I really love my machine now that it seems to be stable, I woudn't recommend keeping it if you can still ask for a refund (and only in that case), it wouldn't be nice of anyone it to recommend keeping it or asking for a swap if you can still ask for a refund...

It seems they still didn't fix everything, they're still not mastering the production of this laptop :/

Ask for a refund, wait at least 3 weeks / 1 month and re-order if you're still interested by the Area-51m...

Sorry to anyone, I'm just being honest here, I love my 51m but some users here gone through very bad after-sales experience and I can't recommend it :/

Just adding some game&bench results :

Testing Parameters :

* Area-51m with Intel Core i9-9900K, RTX2080, 32GB DDR4 @ 2400. Swap received 2 weeks ago.
    * CPU not Delidded
    * -110mv undervolt on CPU with Throttlestop
    * 931mv GPU voltage @ 1950 MHZ with MSI AfterBurner
    * CPU Multipliers are set on default
    * Repad with @S.K tutorial, Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 & Alphacool Pads
    * Repaste with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on CPU
    * Repaste with Gelid GC Extreme on GPU
    * All Tests executed with 100% Fan Profile
    * 3d Mark Time Spy test is executed by default on laptop's screen @ original resolution
    * Overwatch is executed with Highest Settings @ 3440x1440 on my 35" screen
    * PUBG is executed with Ultra Settings @ 3440x1440 on my 35" screen
    * 3d Mark is launched several times and I get the latest score
    * Games are launched for about an hour of gaming each
    * Temperatures are monitored with ThrottleStop, GPU-Z and HwInfo

Benchmarks & Games results :

* Prime95 Small FFTs : 100°c reached even on full speed fan profile (seems usual on i9 9900K not delidded)
    * 3d Mark TimeSpy :
    - Peak CPU temp : 82°c on CPU test
    - Peak GPU temp : 74°c on GPU test
    - Score : 10512
    * Overwatch :
    - 120 to 144 (cap set in game) FPS
    - 84°c at maximum on GPU
    - 70 to 74°c on CPU
    * PUBG :
    - 78 to 90 fps, 80 average
    - 84 to 85°c at maximum on GPU
    - 66 to 75°c at maximum on CPU

GPU-Z analysis :

- Frequency quite never drops, goes from 1950MHZ and sometimes 1920MHZ, never below 1900MHZ as far as I remember
    - I can sometimes see some PWR on PerfCap Reason, some spikes that represent 5% to 10% at maximum but very reasonable and when it's happening I can't notice any FPS drop

I'll update those datas as I haven't much time to play games :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
    Fire Tiger, Alexon and mason2smart like this.
  2. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The GPU temp seems a little bit high to me.
    pubg at 931mv in my case push the GPU to 79 c at maxmium on full speed profile.

According to your previos posts, I'd suggest you to recheck your thermal pads applying which may cause a gap between die and the heatsink.

As for the thermal paste, just use 5 dots method. NO NEED SCREEDING.

3. Nomadsan74

Reputations:
    I used @S.K tutorial for the pads, I could replace the 2mm with 1.5mm on GPU ram and 1mm instead of 1.5mm on the two mosfets near ram but I need to order some pads.

Can it be an difference of ambiant temperature ? We're reaching peak of temps here in France 37°c to 40°c today. I got air conditioning but it one for my whole apartment and it's not in the room I'm located with the laptop

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
  4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Version 1.0.0.1 and 1.0.0.2 are not there anymore. Try and share a link if you can. That's why I uploaded them separately. Also, Bios 1.3.2 is no longer there. Only 1.3.0 and 1.5.0. Verify first.

Ok that's odd. It was previously removed from everywhere and now it's back on. I can't say for sure what it is until I do an MD5 comparison.

This isn't abnormal in very high ambient temperature conditions. And 1.5mm on memory chips will probably not make great contact as I've noticed this in the past, but not all heat sinks are created equal so you might have to experiment with pressure paper to see if your setup is going to work or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2019
    Nomadsan74 likes this.
  5. Nomadsan74

Reputations:
    Maybe 1mm instead of 1.5mm on the two mosfets near ram ?

That's enough for me, if things goes worse I'll be considering repad&repaste but for the moment I'll be leaving it as it I think.

What's this pressure paper test you're talking about ?

S.K likes this.
  6. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Apply your thermal pads
    Put on the heatsink without thermal paste and use a piece of paper between the die and the heatsink
    Screw up and try to pull out that paper.

7. Nomadsan74

Reputations:
    Ok thanks, I've re-ordered Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 in 2mm. My pads degraded too much, that's the 4th time I mount/unmount :D

8. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The Igpu will never work properly. This is due to a lack of nvidia drivers since high Sierra. Wifi won't work unless you have a mac os compatible external mini wifi dongle.

I have power management and battery percentages working in Mojave. I think my tb3 works as well. Sound I have through headphone jack but not speakers

Any way to set a macro for fan speeds?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2019
    etern4l likes this.
  9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Heaven benchmark left running at extreme settings for almost 1.5 hours now. Phobya Nanogrease Extreme working like a champ! No air conditioner. Ambient temps at around 28-29 degrees celcius indoors.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    DreDre and etern4l like this.
  10. sazistas

sazistas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just applied thermal grizzly conductonaut to both cpu and gpu. Temps are great and actually I am in a hot environment right now here in Greece. (about 35c)
    What I find interesting is that vram overclocks really high, I don't get artifacts until +1100 (its a Samsung memory)
    My GPU has the new mosfets, so I hope it will last and not explode some day :) Capture.PNG

DreDre likes this.