*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. cookiemonster52

cookiemonster52 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't freak out. All previous BIOS versions are still there. As for the vBIOS, they just removed versions with the old installers and left the 200w VBIOS (1.0.0.3) https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...wt64a&productcode=alienware-17-area51m-laptop
    And the 180w VBIOS (1.0.0.5) https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...wt64a&productcode=alienware-17-area51m-laptop

Everything can be found on Dell's drivers website

3. AJVP

AJVP Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello
    I have justed ordered my Alienware Area51m...which is at the moment between London and China. DELL Tracking system not very precise. Anyway given the outrageous amount Dell charges for warranty extensions from 1 year (I mean these can't be reflective of the actual statistical measurement of unit failure over the period), I am looking at third party warranty extensions. Found a company in UK called MendIT, but I have yet to purchase anything. Does anyone have any suggestions as I blew all my budget on the actual unit. CHEERS!!!

4. cookiemonster52

Reputations:
    You have the standard 1-year warranty, I would advise you to add accidental damage for $59 for the year as well. Then, before your 1-year runs out, you have the option to extend your coverage, so just save up in the meantime. I think you're better with a warranty directly from Dell than a 3rd party.

EDIT: Speaking from a United States perspective, so might be different depending on location...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  5. AJVP

AJVP Newbie

Reputations:
    Probably better off with Dell but an additional £600 to extend warranty to 4 years is ludocrus...... no way that is reflective of the actual statistical risk.

Sorry I noticed you quoted $....I am in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
  6. cookiemonster52

Reputations:
    Is that quote for Premium Support Plus? Because that includes accidental damage plus a whole bunch of other (IMO not very useful) stuff related to Dell Support Assist. 4 years of Premium Support Plus for $600 isn't that bad. That being said, I wouldn't purchase warranty coverage for more than 2-years because I tend to upgrade before then anyway. Certainly Dell makes a profit on warranties, however, you have to factor in the cost to replace something such as a DGFF GPU, which could be quite expensive.

7. MrFreeze_Van

MrFreeze_Van Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know specifically Dell time to failure product but as anything in electronics the higher risk of failure is at the very early life of the product and at the end (3-4 years), what it means is if your product survive the 1st year it has low risk of failure until the end of its life cycle, so 1y is actually not a bad idea considering the tremendous cost of the 4-5 year Dell warranty .

8. AJVP

AJVP Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry that is in £ or pound sterling c. US 800 AND NOT PREMIUM SUPPORT. I am in London.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
  9. Alexon

Alexon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi guys, I got my new Area m51 since 06/12/2019, there are 3 times I got black screen with no back light, keyboard is not responding as well (caps/numlock light freezes). The first time I left the machine running overnight when I slept then when I woke up, it got blacked. The second time I don't remember but the third time it just happened few minutes ago, I close the lid, brought from the table to another table to replug the power supply, then I got blacked with no respond. There is no way but hard reset the power button (last 2 times) but the 3rd time I just type on/off power button, close/open the lid, type randomly on the keyboard and it sudden turned off. I have no idea what is wrong with the product.

I ran everything stock. System bios 1.5.4, vbios 180w 1.0.0.5, updated everything latest from Dell website. I ran hardware full test (4 hours) from the startup and there was no issue.

I haven't opened to gelid/re-paste anything yet. I still have like 15 days to return for refund.

Have anyone got these issues and how to fix it ?

Thanks in advance.

P/s: I am sorry for my bad English. I also got errors twice from the AlienwareMobileConnectClient.exe. It said the memory could not be read.???

And the last one is my Counterstrike GO keeps crashing launch, I tried many ways to fix and still no hope...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  10. Dagr

Dagr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Frickity frack these drivers... sigh. So, Win10 just updated my Realtek pieces yesterday... now I'm noticing that my sound levels reset to 67% every time I reboot my pc. WTH?! It otherwise still functions, so that's good... (including the audio sections of AWCC and the Realtek control panel). Freaking hate Realtek drivers... they've given me such crap with this PC for some reason.

Anyone else having this now / notice it?

EDIT: oh, and my G900 mouse decided to stop talking to it's USB reciever today. Awesome. Still working great in plugged-in mode, but still... ><