*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Hey bro, I will take Panasonic pads over Gelid ones every time because of the following reasons:
    1: Higher thermal conductivity
    2: Extremely high compressibility
    3: No tearing as the pads remain REALLY soft even after multiple weeks of hardcore usage of the machine, sometimes without an aircon running in the room!
    4: As soon as the pressure is removed from the pads, even if they are compressed, they gradually return to their original form which I REALLY like! This is something that completely sold me on these, and I prefer using these over FujiPoly even though FujiPoly Extreme has higher thermal conductivity but those get dry very fast and are not re-usable (in most cases). However, where I want a set and forget setup and already know which size fits where, I'd go with the FujiPoly Extreme for the final build, but unfortunately they don't offer pads thicker than 1.5mm.

c69k likes this.
  2. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey @S.K ,

Can I have your advice on this :

Is 84°c on GPU after 20mn 3Dmark TimeSpy Extreme stress test something relatively reliable ?

Parameters : Freq: 1950MHZ@930mv set on After Burner.

Many thanks :)

3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Hey brother, sounds like you finally got a reliable machine! This sounds plenty good to me! However, I'd use the computer for a few weeks as it is right now and then re-visit the profile to make some changes. After "settling down", sometimes you can get a higher overclock at a lower undervolt as compared to when you started for the first time. So performance is only going to get better from here onwards. My GPU used to do 1950 MHz sustained at 937mV but after my recent re-paste and repad with a new heat sink, I'm able to achieve the same frequency at 918mV haha! The only thing that I changed is the thermal pads on those 2 pesky little mosfets that are hidden underneath the beauty cover. Previously, I didn't have a 3mm lying around so I sandwiched 2mm and 1mm on top of each other to "get going" but this time, I had a Panasonic 3mm lying around which I used directly. What thickness pads have you used in your repad project? Did you follow this guide in my signature below?

One more thing: make sure you didn't get robbed when buying kryonaut! Too many fakes being sold around these days. I had a fake kryonaut batch that gave me similar max temps which I had to return to Amazon. I personally am thankful to @Mr. Fox for mentioning Phobya Nanogrease Extreme as that stuff just blew me away! I am not going to use anything other than that from now on (apart from Gelid GC Extreme as that's a consistent mid tear performer).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019
  4. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well which System BIOS, and VBIOS do you personally recommend for the best performance? I’ve read that the System BIOS v1.5.0 is the best to use, but clueless as to what version of VBIOS to use.

5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    1.3.2 gives the absolute best performance along with the 200W Vbios. Dell has removed it from their website but I have uploaded them on my google drive. You can download if you want. In order to install that bios, follow the guide mentioned in my signature below.

P.S., After installing it, make sure that you disable the capsule updates feature from within the Bios in order to stop Windows from installing new versions via Windows update.

Fire Tiger and c69k like this.
  6. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes they do, but not for throttling. Drivers are involved in a such way that they can for example let the hardware calculate something until the hardware crashes. But just like you said, they cannot anymore cause it's 2019. Nowadays you can only let the software crash, not the hardware. An hardware crash usually results in a broken part, where as an software crash is most of the times, an bit that got flipped (due to cosmic rays) or an catch and release that failed to catch an exception (resulting in an software crash). both are hardware crashes, where software is the fix. In the event a GPU drivers tries to do something it should not, it simply crashes. When was the last time that you read that someone's GPU was stuck @100% and burned someone's house down because it kept going 100% without stopping ? never cause the firmware is the brain of the GPU just like the BIOS/UEFI is the brain of the CPU.
    without both the GPU would not be able to interface with windows, and without drivers programs that run in windows would not be able to calculate/interface with an GPU.

That's why a CPU doesn't need drivers, it's interface are it's instruction set it supports, where as a videocard can only make a certain type of calculations that have to be programmed specifically for the GPU.

Nvidia tried to get it in datacenters and such, but a component that needs drivers, will not work better than something that's embedded within the hardware already.

That's why you need to keep your drivers of your gpu up to date, it's contains all the latest and greatest in terms of HOW the gpu interfaces with software. Game developers do not program GPU, they write software that the GPU can interpret due to Nvidia doing the driver side fixes. No (game)developer will now how an GPU works because the drivers blobs/binaries are supplied by Nvidia and just like we all know they like to keep tight lipped about their precious IP. but i do get your point.

7. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So the re-useability is then excellent !!! COOL!!

I ask, because with Gelids, as soon as I remove heat-sink I always change for new pads (about once in 6 months), as they never come back to shape, and I do not want to risk 'very weak or no contact' on black Mosfets especially after my 1060 GPU is now flashed to max. 130W (from max. 78W stock).

On every re-pad, with Gelids, I have to custom fit/measure the gaps because I must re-balance the fragile heat-sink from scratch for good die fit first, then I add pads while keeping dies in contact with heat-sink.

Can a 1.5 mm Panasonic pad compress to 1.1 mm easy?

I ask all this !!! LOL I want to try a new product as an alternative to, so far best low-pressure-heatsink performing Gelids on my 13 r3, seems like with Panasonics I can have more tolerance freedom and re-usability and better thermal performance AND pad longetivity.

Thanx again !!!

S.K likes this.
  8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I have seen 2mm Panasonic pad get compressed to lower than 1mm with no issues. Those Japanese folks really know how to make quality stuff!

Alexon and c69k like this.
  9. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks !

Yes finally, after all those up & down in my personal story about this laptop...

Yes I did use your tutorial about repad (I even created a backup.... just in case..) : here's the first application : http://forum.notebookreview.com/goto/post?id=10924273#post-10924273 (before I had to do it again because of the failed MB/CG cable).

I'm using a syringue of Kryonaut i've been using with another computer that is still runing fine.

If I got any problem I'll be switching to the Gelid I got or the paste you recommended.

Alexon and S.K like this.
  10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    CPU doesn't need drivers? What do you say about intelppm.sys? As far as burned GPU example goes, if a driver wants to override firmware defined variables within the on-chip memory where firmware executes itself, it CAN. There are proprietary switches and instructions that are reserved for the manufacturer provided software only that CAN override the basic firmware on any device. How else do you think overclocking works? As far as the 2080 goes, the hard set thermal limit is 87 degrees. To heat it up beyond that and still making it run is simply out of question (as you probably mistakenly quoted in your previous message). And by the way, I've developed a lot of drivers back in the good old Windows 2000 and Windows XP days so I know a thing or 2 about how things run. ;)