*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. gokujou

gokujou Newbie

Reputations:
    Also I keep seeing people claim that bios 1.5.4 forces the GPU to throttle down to unplayable levels (like the 400mhz he claimed). I am still on 1.5.4 with my 9700k/2080 and the worst I have seen so far is roughly a 150mhz downclock with a still very comfortable frame rate. I do plan on trying to revert, just too lazy as it has been working great for me so far.

VoodooChild, cootje1976 and S.K like this.
  2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    You'll need a whole lot of 2mm as well. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1111#post-10911767

3. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like azor is AMD new chief gaming officer

gokujou likes this.
  4. Timoonn

Timoonn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yes it throttle after 75c, but smoothly, it does not cut performance brutaly. I just lost 7/8% of gpu performances, on a hot summer day.
    In game its not noticeable.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    gokujou likes this.
  5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    100C? LMAO! 87 degrees is the throttle point SET by nVidia. If this guy wants to reach 100C then he might as well write his own drivers and perhaps make his own version of 2080 as well.

6. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tried some 3d mark Timespy extreme.

931mv seems to be stable.

80°C at max, with repaste and repad.

Still can see PWR limit while the test is running but it seems I can't avoid this even after proper and meticulous repad on the GC..

I'll let the test complete some other passes to be sure

S.K likes this.
  7. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    making a GPU reach is quite easily even after it crosses the throttle point. You only need to edit some HEX values in the vbios rom file, and you're good to go not to mention that drivers are an interface for software developers to let their software work with the hardware else everything had to be coded in native c++ or any other assembly language for some simple programs. making hardware reach a certain point has to do with firmware, not drivers.

87C is where it get's throttled. OEMS have a different definition of throttling, and how hard something should be throttled. By unlocking the powerlimits (which cannot be done on the laptops cause Dell locked the vbios) you can still let the card reach it's 100C to perform an thermal shutdown. After that you can see (and analyze) how much Mhz you're going down for every Mhz, how much voltage get's throttled etc etc reverse-engineering the algorithm that trottles the card

c69k likes this.
  8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Easier said than done. And, BOTH firmware and drivers are involved. Things are not as generic and "Black and white" as you make it sound like. It's not 1998 anymore.

Rei Fukai and c69k like this.
  9. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    20 minutes of 3Dmark TimeSpy Extreme Stress test : 84°c (never reached higher temps) no framerate drop no frequency drop.

Good boï ^^

LoneSyndal, VoodooChild and S.K like this.
  10. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @S.K

Hi, your posts are very informative. Thanx for so much feedback, even though I do not own A51M, I can apply some of this down to earth knowledge to my own laptop.

X
    X
    X

I am very happy user of Gelid pads, but would like, please, some feedback on the Panasonic 13 Wm/k pads if possible. (before I possibly order)

My main concern is how well they compress and if they can be torn apart (say LOL, with hands).
    For comparance, I have owned Dell stock pads, Alphacool 17 Wm/k and Gelids only.
    With Gelids, when I am not careful, they tear apart very easy on heat-sink removal. My 'imaginary picture' about the properties of Panasonic pads is that they will never really break, nor can tear apart.
    What is your opinion/experience so far with them?

Thanx for any info you can provide, very appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Papusan likes this.