*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My 9900K + RTX 2080 unit arrived on the 16th May, with v1.3.2 installed. I've currently got the v1.5.4 system bios, and latest v1.0.0.5 180 W VBIOS installed but I'm considering downgrading the system bios to 1.5.0 due to seeing the GPU clock decreasing every so often in order to keep the GPU temperature under 75 C, very odd.

Dell really do need to sort this issue out soon. It's annoying to say the least. Other than that, it's a nice machine. Got 8TB of SSD storage, and 64 GB of RAM on this baby now, it's monstrously powerful.

DreDre likes this.
  2. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    He realised the 51m would be the last cashgrab, after that everything would become soldered, tanking the AW brand image (like Dell did not tarnish it already).
    he's probably jumping ship to go to an competitor, seems like he couldn't steer Dell the way HE wanted anymore (probably). Reading his last message it looks like he isn't done with "gaming". Looking forward to the next brand that Azor will be giving up slowly to corporate devils.

3. cootje1976

cootje1976 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    O

Odd. I haven't faced this yet, but I might have been lucky up till now.
    My temps in Overwatch full HD on the Ultra preset remain pretty stable with the stock cooling.

Now before getting into the debate wether it is either possible or impossible, these are my preconditions how I run my Area 51M:
    I do not play on an external screen, that is what the Threadripper in the home office is for ;-). This is primarily a livingroom laptop, in case of the lazies, and not wanting to go sit in the office, but do some couch-gaming. Yea, me and the wife do that especially in the weekend; me on Overwatch, and she Elite Dangerous. Yeah, I am lucky ;-) (No kids, AMEN!)

I limited the OC on this thing to 4,5GHZ; after reading the forums I decided to go with that, no need to go all in for now. No changes on the GPU, other then the fact that the rig has the 1.5.4. bios and the latest vbios installed.
    Fans are on balanced all the time, spooling up when gaming. For additional cooling I have a coolermaster notepal that I have had for ages, and that is still running fine. Never ran a gaming laptop without.

See below my temps after an hour or so of gaming:
    Temps.PNG

Given, I know I am not running it on its full potential, but will let it free float now to 5.0GHz tops.
    But based on the above I am either extremely lucky, or? Now this is a basic scenario, and if you use it kind of the same way ther is no need for a repaste yet, unless you plan to OC the heck out of it of course ;-)

Just my 2 cents.

4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    With the latest repaste + repad (using the replacement heat sink + Panasonic pads for 2mm and FujiPoly Extreme for 1/1.5mm), it seems that my OC has further improved at a much lower undervolt! Now my 2080 is running at 1950 MHz at only 918mV as compared to previous 937mV! In game temps have dropped to max 71 degrees now with the new profile! :D:D:D
    [​IMG]

5. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The throttling isn’t a bug. It’s a ”feature” to keep the 51M cool and safe. For Dell, there’s nothing to sort. Use older BIOS and VBIOS if you want best performance.

6. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hadn't noticed this before... Dell lists their 8GB Ram as 2666Mhz while it rates it 16GB sticks at 2400Mhz. Can someone who's bought the 16GB kits from Dell directly confirm this? Is it a 2666Mhz sticks running at 2400 or is it a 2400Mhz max capacity sodimms?

I had the 2 × 8Gb option and while it ran at 2400Mhz, it had the 2666 option in case Dell ever released a BIOS that supported it (highly unlikely now since even Azor has left the sinking ship that is AW) Now, I don't see a single reason why they'll ever a BIOS with an XMP profile. It might come in the Area 51M R2 but looking at this after Azor's release, I think we might already be at the EOL for Area 51m... so much for "upgradeable laptop", eh?

[​IMG]

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Dell picking what they have in the shelves. It’s confirmed that they offer both 2400 and 2666MHz sticks. Both run 2400MHz.

Remember Dell offer other notebook models which have support for faster than 2400MHz speed.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  8. Timoonn

Timoonn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, Dell is going to replace my 51m.

Inifinite loop lel

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Rahego

Rahego Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can somehow understand tricks like this in slim pancake laptops. But come on - it's freaking DTR - advertised as fastest and THE BEST in world. Turns out dell failed hard with their DGFF and now to prevent it all - throttle machine to death. And it's not some regular throttle - like lowering clocks by 200 mhz to be just below 75C. It's some weird throttle all way down to 400 mhz - impossible to play anything with "feature" like this. To think that i wanted my friend to get it as his new machine. Seems like the "look" is all it offers.

About azor - my guess is that he just failed and caused company to loose thousands or even millions of dollars on replacements. Probably he wanted to do one good thing and pushed for best performance software to backup his claims. Somehow he couldn't foreseen that dellaware and his engineers failed hard and GPU is in fact ticking bomb. Too bad for everyone unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019
  10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I have rebutted this type of messages so many times in this thread that I'm not even going to try again. I enjoy beating the hell out of my machine and it never disappoints me. If one installs 1.5.4 bios which is *OPTIONAL* by the way, and then complains instead of downgrading to older version of bios, it's his own fault. It's easy to talk a big talk but that seems to be the norm around here. Just big talk. People benching factory laptops and then complaining. If you want to bench, you make your machine ready for it first. If you bench without doing that, don't blame the manufacturer. As much as I disagree with a lot of Dell policies, I find it utterly ridiculous to see lazy bums whining because their laptop gave out while they were trying to bench it with factory cooling solution (Now don't give me the same "oh it died while playing a video" nonsense either because if somebody benched the hell out of the machine earlier without proper thermal upgrades, it WILL die ANYTIME in the future while performing petty tasks). Factory cooling solution is meant for REAL LIFE SCENARIOS ONLY! Benching is NOT a real life scenario! Full stop. Period. And a lot of "resellers" did a pretty "spectacular" job with thermal "upgrades" and they usually run a whole bunch of benchmarks before sending the laptop over to the buyer so if you want to blame somebody, blame the reseller, yourself (for not checking things before believing everything that the reseller told you) and THEN the manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019