*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    4c but after kinda ruining the die contact area. Its pretty much impossible to get it back to a smooth surface after removing the solder unfortunately.

Terreos likes this.
  2. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm someone can make something for a 3D print and help us out. I'd do it myself but my 3D printer doesn't print larger projects well. So I can't prototype and double check my work. :oops:

True true. The most I've heard that can be achieved is 9-14 degrees. And that's pretty darn good. But it apparently takes alot of sanding and time to get that. I was looking at silicon lottery and they claim 4-9 degrees with a delid. So that's great considering if you'd want a 9900k in this little beast. ((Yes I'm calling a 17" laptop little.))

Why does that not surprise me? Lol. I have his custom laptop cooler bookmarked and plan to make you with some spare Vardar fans I got lying around. Figure it will be a fun project for this laptop.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Vistar Shook and Rei Fukai like this.
  3. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Brother @Mr. Fox already made one. And they went in and blocked it from working on the Alienware series. It was brought in from the M18X series and worked great.

Ashtrix, Vasudev, ssj92 and 6 others like this.
  4. dodgehemi0

dodgehemi0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think he is trying to keep it even. Those numbers came from when the laptops where new and new drivers. Saying this is what they come with just out the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vasudev and Cass-Olé like this.
  5. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since he likes to quote S.Smith's figures, she did a head-to-head 6days ago, MSI GT75 2080 vs 51m ... I assure u those numbers out-of-box on new-drivers are more relevant to today's chart than anything he might pluck from the past on old tech (note he plugged-in Smith's new Feb2nd head-to-head data for GT75: GeekBench 22,765, File Transfer 848.2, Handbrake 8:00; I know he copied her page but not her 2080 data but used the old 1080 instead from some other review); & there's no internal consistency on GT75 in past review charts either that suggests they only push day one figures & stick to them, you have to root around in past charts to notice how figures change (an admitted waste of time for our purposes here) but I do like & appreciate your observation. I prefer 51m pulls away & doesn't look back, so long as things stay on an even ground when it does it. Those charts today paint a picture of destruction (while not using the good heatsink) which I find a tad hard to swallow but also feel somewhat encouraged by :)

lol, [OT] edit, newly arrived auction: Custom Alienware Acrylic Gaming PC Hand Made $480/US Buy It Now ... going going gone
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Rei Fukai, Vasudev, Mr. Fox and 4 others like this.
  6. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    few takeaways from the disassembly.

GDDR6 memory is made by samsung (thank God)

VRMs are not visible from the front side of the card. hopefully it's not hidden at the back side with no active cooling. had nightmares with stuttering issue on GTX 1080 power delivery circuit overheating on R4.

DGFF looks like a 6 phase GPU 2 phase memory power delivery design vs 8 + 2 on FE boards.

thermal paste job looks decent?

7. Cerreta28

Cerreta28 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How is the fan noise

8. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    no idea on this yet. non of the reviews are detailed enough at this point

9. evangelionpunk

evangelionpunk Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    They all appear to purposely avoid temps and fans and showing the dual power bricks.

VoodooChild and Latostno like this.
  10. Latostno

Latostno Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, right! Because if there is any, those are exactly highest chances the weaknesses of this AW

Sent from my MIX 3 using Tapatalk