*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok did some test on Overwatch tonight... cpu was fine...perfect 74°c gpu was reaching on highest 79/80°c... 130 to 144 fps 3440x1440 @ultra

.... that's when Overwatch started to drop frames, Gpu Frequency dropped to 400+Mhz waiting for temperatures to reach something like 50+°c then it recovers its normal frequency ... and drop again, etc...

I could see PWR AND THRM limit on GPU-Z, and when it's not droping frames I can only see PWR limit (but framerate normal...)

Is that the famous 1.5.4 bios effect ???

What should I do guys, I tried installing the 1.5.0 bios but as soon as windows started it warned me he downloaded 1.5.4 bios...

Edit : No problem with 1.5.0 BIOS, GPU temps slowly increase till it reach stabilisation @86°c at max no throttling (No Undervolting applyed yet)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep, typically dell did this preventing you from burning your gpu out!

Papusan likes this.
  3. Nomadsan74

Reputations:
    Is that a joke ?

I mean... c'mon...

It started dropping fps @ 77°c dude... WTF... there's no way with their standard thermal application you could avoid reaching those temps...

I mean... it's not even a big game it was just... Overwatch...

How can we prevent Windows to setup 1.5.4 bios ?

4. JAGGERBREAD

Reputations:
    Not a joke, an obvious fact in the world.

5. Nomadsan74

Reputations:
    Dell want to prevent users to use their machine as it is supposed to be used ?... for gaming ?

6. JAGGERBREAD

Reputations:
    Trying to prevent GPU performing at max load is the best way to keep power supply units from burning

Papusan likes this.
  7. Nomadsan74

Reputations:
    I'm talking in DM with Umar to get this sorted and knowing what's happening... and no sorry if that's the solution that Dell/Alienware choosed, I'm definitely asking for a refund or selling this unit ...

Now that I'm having a working unit after two months waiting for a repair and then a swap, now I'm hearing that we're getting handicaped laptop... no way...

It is pure and simple use, it's not even a big game (Division 2 or something else)...

WTF... you're telling me they stopped sending RTX2080s units for quite a moment just to implement that poor solution ...

Papusan and c69k like this.
  8. JAGGERBREAD

Reputations:
    FYI, this kind of "thing" also happened once with the xps units. Throttling to prevent further loss for dell.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  9. giltee

giltee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I believe I’m getting the same experience in Borderlands of all games. Plays great on Ultra for a while and then everything starts slowing down. I assume it’s the throttling kicking in, though temps are not that bad (in the 70s). It’s weird, because it doesn’t even seem like the machine is working that hard to begin with, but then framerate drops to unplayable levels (usually after about an hour or so of play). Maybe it’s something else (buggy code, network issues); if it’s Dell’s permanent fix, then this will probably be a cancelled order for me (I have a few weeks left to decide).

10. Nomadsan74

Reputations:
    Can you (and all the users here facing the same problem) record it, with, if it's possible for you, the second tab (sensors) of GPU-Z showing frequencies or Alienware Command Center, you have to see the clock throttling from 1900+MHZ to 400+MHZ.

I'll be sending it to Umar

Papusan and Rei Fukai like this.