*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Beware of his bodyguards though! ;)

Arrrrbol likes this.
  2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

I'll hit him up means I'll get in touch with him [​IMG]

Here's a new course for you:

English - Urban Dictionary

DreDre, Arrrrbol and etern4l like this.
  3. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I know that! DeeX is frustrated even after continuous meetings with Dell management... DeeX has somewhat better build to force Azor to order Dell team to make better BIOS and not a rip-off Throttling measures.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Rei Fukai, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    So I tested a few pastes out. The contenders included:
    1: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
    2: Gelid GC Extreme
    3: Phobya Nanogrease Extreme
    4: Arctic MX-4

I decided to take these results on my own laptop using a replacement heatsink that I have bought from AliExpress for modding purpose (it came with stock thermal pads installed so I left them alone for the test). I will be trying to add more heat pipes + graphite padding to it to enhance heat transfer. But that's for a later day!

So, the test was pretty straight forward (intention was to chose a clear winner instead of doing excessive benchmarks). The CPU test in this case included the built-in Intel XTU stress test for CPU for 5 minutes with -130mV undervolt (the usual). The GPU test included running Sniper Elite 4 at 1080p with Ultra settings with Render Scale set to 200%!!! The game was played for 20 minutes each (same saved mission in bright daylight to ensure maximum GPU load as compared to dark scenes). I used spread method for applying a thin layer in all cases.

Here are the results:
    1. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut:
      • CPU: 76 Degrees Celcius max
      • GPU: 75 Degrees Celcius max
    2. Gelid GC Extreme:
      • CPU: 77 Degrees Celcius max
      • GPU: 75-76 Degrees Celcius (jumping between these 2 readings all the time on MSI AfterBurner)
    3. Phobya Nanogrease Extreme:
      • CPU: 75 Degrees Celcius max
      • GPU: 74 Degrees Celcius max
    4. Arctic MX-4
      • CPU: 83 Degrees Celcius max
      • GPU: 81 Degrees Celcius max
    The clear winner for me is Phobya Nanogrease Extreme. One additional thing that I very clearly noticed is that with Phobya NG Extreme, the rise in temperature is extremely steady and not abrupt like all the other pastes. That has definitely got something to do with the higher thermal conductivity and the way I spread it in an extremely thin layer. Phobya NG Extreme was the most difficult to spread among these due to it's extremely high viscosity but it wasn't too bad. I am super happy to achieve these results and now know what works best from the pastes that I currently have in stock. Today I got some more goodies delivered that include a thermal putty which I am too lazy to test on my laptop and will test on the test bench instead.

Edit: The knock-off kryonaut that I threw away, I had a left over syringe of that stuff buried in my messed up parts drawer and I threw that in the mix just for the sake of it with the new heat sink and it hit 86 degrees celcius lmao! Somebody is definitely making fakes out there and one needs to be VERY careful when choosing his supplier.

@Mr. Fox @Prema @DeeX @custom90gt @Vasudev @VoodooChild

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    4W4K3, Falkentyne, luciela and 15 others like this.
  5. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice post!

So, just to confirm, you didn't undervolt the GPU, right?

I've tried all 3 of your test "subjects" other than Phoyba Nano which I'm finding it hard to get delivered to the UAE. If anyone had a link that ships to the UAE, please guide me to the right channels if possible, I am looking to buy this paste ever since Mr Fox recommended it. Thanks

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Mr. Fox and Vasudev like this.
  6. Sawtoothwav

Sawtoothwav Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Trying to decide between Conductonaut and Kryonaut, Phobya hegrease and nano extreme.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  7. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    what fan profile were you using to test?

8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Cooler Master MasterGel Maker is quite good and lasts really long. It will give ICD and TGK, a stiff competition.
    Having MSI AB in background will increase CPU/GPU temps. TS is the best monitoring SW that is light.

9. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OK, but in my experience with another laptop, thermal grease works wonderfully for a few days/weeks while it is still fresh, and then it dries out and deteriorates rapidly.

10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Full speed fans for all tests.

Make an account on Ubuy. It will deliver any Amazon product that is not meant to be delivered to your destination at marginal extra charges. I use it all the time to buy stuff that doesn't ship to my place by default. And since it is Kuwait based, I think they will definitely deliver to your location. Plus, my default GPU profile was intact the whole time. 937mV. And I enjoyed 1980MHz for quite a long time, thanks to GPU boost until it settled at exact 1950 as temps crossed 72 degrees. But man! This Phobya NG Extreme is some GOOD stuff! I have ordered some more from the same vendor just to stock pile haha!

That happens if the heat sink is not flat and has a gap between the CPU/GPU and the cooler contact surface (unbalanced mounting pressure/warped heat sink?). If that's not the case, it will not dry up. I took Gelid GC Extreme off from one of my servers after 4 years a couple of weeks back and it was still not "dry" even though that machine literally remained on for most part of the last 4 years with just a few reboots (no shutdowns).

Running MSI AB in the background was intentional. I wanted to know the max temps that I could get. And as I mentioned, this wasn't a "what's the best way to measure temps" experiment, rather which thermal compound gives the best results in a relatively same environment, same cooling pads, same hardware and exact same setup. I'm sure TS would make things run a little cooler, but that wasn't the aim of this activity. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2019
    raz8020, Mr. Fox and Vasudev like this.