*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    These laptops don't use manual voltages.
    They use VID.
    Setting a 'manual' voltage in the BIOS (if that's even possible) or in XTU doesn't set that voltage as the VRM target voltage (which is what a manual voltage is). It simply changes the default VID from whatever the processor is programmed at from the factory, to the "Manual" value you specified. Then the AC Loadline (which affects the default VID) comes into play, which is why you see those spikes. Those spikes only occur at idle and very light load usually. The DC loadline brings down that VID to the value you see at heavy load, but the supply voltage comes from the AC loadline, not the DC loadline.
    Without access to the Internal VR Settings, you can't do a thing about it.

2. warcobra

warcobra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This might sound like a dumb question but when you plug into the thunderbolt port for a usb c monitor it uses the integrated Intel gpu right? just making sure it function's properly.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think its broken implementation of Insyde BIOS made by Dell. The options for disabling Secure boot or UEFI are scattered all over the place, so I can't say which option does what? Its too confusing for me as well.

Rei Fukai, Papusan and Darkhan like this.
  4. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    correct. That's the only place where the Intel GPU works, hence why we still have G-SYNC despite the laptop having an Intel Graphics.

5. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay, thanks. I thought this might be the case, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks for the information!

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Dagr

Dagr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Been waiting to see this myself... I'm still hopeful. I had been trying to ignore the 1.5.4 bios as well, not sure how that impacts the 2070 as most people on this board are 2080-ers. BUT... stupid windows auto installed the 1.5.4 on me. I can go back later I suppose if it's a problem.. but as you said, my 2070 doesn't really approach the thermal limits anyway that most people are complaining about with 1.5.4. (It runs nice and cool, though my CPU and ambient temps get pretty hot and I'm sure the GPU contributes to the ambient).

Realize this is getting old at this point... but since I'm on 1.5.4 (and have a 2070)... installed 1.5.4, disabled AW OC in AWCC, rebooted, and I still see 87/75/87/87 in GPU-Z advanced tab... not sure what else to say... (and not sure if that means my actual limits are still the same or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2019
  7. Mephitic

Mephitic Newbie

Reputations:
    Welp, it finally arrived after over a month of production delay.
    I sort of maxed it out -- i9-9900K, RTX 2080, 64 Gb RAM, 2TB RAID0, 1TB Hybrid.
    I'm a pretty happy camper.

I'm looking for LED themes though, it is odd that this doesn't seem to have any by default -- will the older R3/4 Alienware themes work?

DreDre likes this.
  8. Ale380

Ale380 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I Live in Italy and i was quite confident on getting my replacement laptop quicker than the previouse one, dell webiste said 9-11 working days. I was reading some of your comments guys and i just got an email by dell, the expected delivery date was moved from 3th of July to 23rd. I am speechless now.

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    As long the owners haven't upgraded to last bios this will just continue. A never ending game. Microsoft only does what Dell has asked for. Neither more nor less.
    upload_2019-6-23_18-2-12.png
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/...throttling/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Who will have to pay for possible bricked machines after your warranty have expired? Forced Bios upgrades ain't nice... One thing for sure... Won't be Microsoft:)
    [​IMG]http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-alienware-area-51m-owners-lounge.826831/page-1103#post-10911536

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    raz8020, c69k, alberty and 5 others like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Both XPS and AW are plagued by same issues i.e free smoke, severe PCH throttling, 800MHz CPU freq. bug, SSD boiling, Soldered RAM and possibly SSD etc... A mess which will take 3-5 yrs to cleanup. We might have to use DellClear.exe to remove these mess.

Papusan, Rei Fukai and Darkhan like this.