*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    No need to worry. Dell should be able to send you the connectors. Here are the details:

Part number: DA300015110
    Vendor: UNIMICRON-FPC

Tell them that your connectors are bad (the idiots in support will try to outsmart you but you'll have to be firm in your stance that this is a known problem that is caused by improper installation of DGFF ribbon connectors and you won't be putting up with their shenanigans). Also, when you get your new pair of connectors, gawk at every pin under a zoom lens to make sure none of them is bent or deformed so that you don't get into a similar headache in the future. And try to put them on yourself. The only way to destroy them is to drag them against another surface or installing them when there is dirt or debree on the connection pad on either the GPU board or the motherboard that could interfere with the connection or possibly deform/damage the contact pins.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    doofus99 likes this.
  2. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've asked Dell to change this on site. They offered me to change the graphic card and the cable next Tuesday.. seems fine enough.

I'll ask the technician to change the pads with mine when he'll come.

3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Sounds good. Also, take a look at the back of the DGFF to see the mosfets on both yours and the new one that'll come. Keep the one that has NCP303150 and ditch the one that has NCP303151. If yours has NCP303150 already then I'd suggest that you keep your DGFF and just insist on replacing the connectors. I generally retain the new parts for 14 days and play around with them before returning them back to the parts team. This way I can do a more thorough cross comparison and decide which part I actually want to keep and vice versa.

4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    By the way, make sure that they are referring to those 2 ribbon connectors when they say "cable" and are not referring to the LCD cable that connects to the DGFF board. Generally their first approach is to always replace the LCD connection cable which has got nothing to do with this problem.

5. raza1983

raza1983 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    does anyone know if the rtx 2070 will be getting a higher power bios in the future?
    mine barely hits 65c in gaming on balanced fan profile with a +195 overclock on core

cheers

6. Nomadsan74

Reputations:
    Mr S.K : "I don't feel so good"...

Ok seriously... I hope this time it's the good one.

I'll have to explain or check with the tech how he have to place the pads...

Tell me : what size do I need under the board... I followed the indications some hundred pages before to change the pads but i can't remember which height is recommanded on the back of the GC : 0.5mm 1mm 1.5mm or 2mm ??

Another question S.K : do Dell and I are on the good way ?

Does it seems legit to you to have lower clock and both PWR and THRM limit on GPUZ with 2x PCIE bandwidth ?... To me it seems that I guessed well ...at least I hope it's only a matter of time and bent pins
    ... (from Dell ???? It's a swaped unit supposed to be new.... it means that the factory doesn't match minimum requirements to mount this computer without damaging it...)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    As for the rear thermal pad, you'll need 1.5mm for the mosfets. Here's the guide link:http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1111#post-10911767
    And I can understand completely where you are coming from on this. I'd be annoyed as heck as well. But this is something that unfortunately neither you nor I can do anything about. The tech who came to my place on at least 4 different occasions, didn't even know how to take the laptop apart. When I asked him why he didn't know about this laptop inside out, his response was that since this is not officially launched in this country, they have not been given a hands on training for this unit. This is why if I were you, I'd collect the parts from the tech, ask him to sit down and watch a movie or something while I'd fix things myself. Can't rely on them these days. These are BIG CORPORATION issues. Dell is HUGE! And when a company is this big, it becomes a nightmare to manage all the departments at 100% efficiency rate all the time.

8. Nomadsan74

Reputations:
    The one I had on site 2 months ago with the Area51m repair was a young guy that took the time to look at the disassembly manual, he did a nice job... but I think it highly depend on the tech that is doing on site repair...

What do you think about my question :

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  9. Timoonn

Timoonn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I did my first Division 2 session with my i9/2080. Full stock, last bios/vbios, no undervolt, no cooler, back not raised, and ambiant temp around 28c (yep, its summer). And fans on performance mode while gaming (silent mode when not gaming)

I played with all the specs maxed out, with a high framerate all the time, never below 80/90fps, most of the time above 100 or stuck at 144.

From MSI AB the max gpu temp was 75c from 1710mhz to 1590 after throttling. Probably due to the last bios lowering the trotthling limit. I never saw any consequences on the gaming confort. does it make the need for a GPU undervolt pointless (remember my ambiant temp is high)? Considering im not a powergamer, recently just playing Cities Skylines, AC Unity and The Division 2, im not sure a GPU undervolt is really needed with the last bios.

The CPU peaked at 87c with around 40-50% of usage during the session. It was at 4.7ghz all the time. With a higher CPU usage, it would have trothlie a lot I guess, so CPU undervolt remain justified.
    Fans dont run highter than 80% with peformance mode (so there is a tempeature improvement margin if I crank them up to 100% with full speed mode). And no smoke :eek:

Are these temp average? below? above?

Anyway I'll wait the reply from Dell to know if they replace my unit (Screen panel not centered, fans rumble when at 40%, left output speakers not working, and a crash "no media presence" yesterday).

some screenshots:
    IG from the start to the end of the gaming session

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  10. Nomadsan74

Reputations:
    Wait a minute S.K, Dell did not picked up the old unit that went in smoke... the cable may still be fine...

I'll be cautiously swapping with the one in the old unit and see if it's work better !

hmscott, VoodooChild, Papusan and 2 others like this.