*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Wilhelm_SI

Wilhelm_SI Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The difference in thermal in perfomance is - at least in my perfomance tests - negligible, 2 degree celsius. As @nemoris said, the return value compared to the cost is poor. Cleaning of the system is annoying with all the little crumbs.

hmscott and VoodooChild like this.
  2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    2 degrees is A LOT when you are talking about GPU boost. Every degree counts. But I can agree, it's not "cheap" and average users should be fine with any thermal pads out in the market as long as they are above 1.2w/mk.

Add a 0 to that and that makes up for my yearly thermal pads bill :D But that's for a room full of machines and servers so it's not a comparison. I discovered Panasonic thermal pads a while back and I've been moving over to those as they stand out in terms of value and consistency among different batches. So far I've bought from at least 5 different batches and they have all performed consistently.

I think you are good with Panasonic ones. They have higher conductivity and aren't that costly either.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Presumably the TFX paste is thicker than Kryonaut? Why not Phobya Nanogrease Extreme?

4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Most of these pastes have HORRIBLE quality control which explains such large temperature differences between different batches. I have experienced this personally in case of Kryonaut, however I also found Gelid GC Extreme to be a consistent competitor which explains to me that their QC is much better than Thermal Grizzly's. As far as Phobya NG goes, I will have to try first. It was difficult to source earlier but now that I have it, let's see whether the 40 dollars shipping fee was actually worth it. I have some more "unnamed" 10w/mk thermal putty stuff also on the way to my mailbox which I will happily add to the mix.

5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cool, please do post your Phobya results.

S.K likes this.
  6. Wilhelm_SI

Wilhelm_SI Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    On that i can agree with you. I see myself in a middle spot between average users and enthusiasts. Right now 2 degree celsius doesn´t matter in my case, because the limiting factor is the power limit. I´ll have to remove it.

S.K and hmscott like this.
  7. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Ok guys, everything was fine until now... I installed 3Dmark and try a lil TimeSpy test just to know the score...

Got a 5k+ score.... Told myself there was a problem...

Looked at the graph in the end... gpu temp not bad... around 78°c... (full speed fans) looked at the clock... 1200mhz...

Ok there's a problem with the clock as it's supposed to be wayy higher....

Launched a Gpu-z, saw PWR and THRM limit....

Launched a diagnostic of Dell / Bios, got this :

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ok.. my PCIe Bus is limited and it seems to be the graphic card :

[​IMG]

IMHO this explains the throttling of gpu frequency even with good temps (got PWR THRM limit even with the small test of GPU-Z...)

Guys what should I do ?

I didn't unplug the GPU, yes I know I didn't change the thermal pads under the GPU yeah.. forgot this... but instead it should work as in all the disassembly process, I did nothing to unplug the DGFF card so my system is vanilla on this...

I'll try a power drain first but need your help and advice before calling Dell...

I'm getting tired of all this stuff... I only had a full working laptop for only 2 weeks...

EDIT : power drain did nothing...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  8. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Isn't this the known problem with the GPU module cable?

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Did you open the 2 DGFF ribbon connectors that connect the GPU with the motherboard and are held together with screws? If yes, and you didn't notice this error before, there is a chance that you might have damaged the pins on those during the operation. If you didn't, then whoever messed with it before you, ruined those for you. This is a confirmed bent pin problem on those connectors. Mine came this way from HIDevolution as this connector needs soft hands and full attention while taking it apart and putting it back together. A "quick job" can destroy it. By the way, you do NOT need to disconnect those in order to replace the rear thermal pads on the DGFF. They are soft enough that you can bend the card backwards and replace the thermal pads without worrying about anything breaking. All you need to disconnect is the power connector for DGFF. Make sure though that you put it back properly as it has marked connectors for both DGFF and motherboard and you shouldn't flip it around.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    DreDre likes this.
  10. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Quick answer : no I did not opened those as I said I didn't removed the graphic card only changed surface pads... that's why I'm worried