*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @ssj92 please report back if the new Thunderbolt Drivers solved your issue.

Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Nope, same issue. I even tried the latest .645 driver from station-drivers, no dice.

Works fine on AW 13 R3 & P870DM still! Doesn't work on Area-51m. Closest I ever got was a very older driver (non DCH) but it wouldn't allow me to click connect.

Told AW about this months ago, they said they'll look into it, never got back to me.

See the first video on top and last video on bottom: https://twitter.com/ssj925/status/1104933689488621568

Darkhan and Vasudev like this.
  3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    You do have Windows Store Thunderbolt Control Center installed right?

I use my Thunderbolt port everyday all day long as I have it connected to a Type-C USB Hub but never tried what you are trying to do since my TV is only HDMI.

4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I do have it installed. This isn't type-C though this is full on TB3.

This has worked with AW 13 R3, Clevo P870DM, P870DM3, AW 17 R4.

It has not worked on Area-51m and m15. Something with these newer laptops idk what they did.

Kinda wish I knew how to test TB3 in Linux so I can rule out windows or BIOS.

5. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could anybody try running the 3dmark firestrike stress test at stock voltage with max fan profile please?
    I‘d like to have a look at the temp curve.
    THX

6. Dagr

Dagr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Good grief... now Windows Update is trying to push the 1.5.4 bios on me! WTF.. go away. ; ) I suppose now the bios update is going to block me for other windows updates. Awesome.

Anyone here play the Division 2? I've had the various stuttering issues that many see despite having good thermal numbers / being stable.

hmscott likes this.
  7. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Download Shutup10 and check there, it has an option to block device driver updates while allowing regular updates and it's awesome. With this, you can still download your regular Windows cumulative updates while blocking manufacturers drivers level updates.

Also, disable UEFI firmware update capsule in the BIOS and you're free from this non sense.

While you're at it, download wpd.app and play around with it, you'll be amazed how awesome that app is.

You can thank me later!

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Dagr, Ultra Male and hmscott like this.
  8. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So at 2300+ for a replacement 2080, can you imagine what the 3080 will cost? Trying to understand what the point can be to having a laptop with a replaceable/upgradeable GPU when the cost of it is the same as buying an entire new notebook of the non-upgradeable variety (max q of course). Oh well expensive beasts, but sounds a bit over the top, even for Dell.

9. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is just for a replacement, they aren't selling the 2080s for upgrades as of yet. I'm certain the price will drop dramatically once they start rolling out DGFF upgrades later in the year.

tito37 and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Can you check which USB C PD firmware is installed in TB SW panel like Ultra Male said? If its blank or not listed then you might need a mobo swap or its possible that dell has disabled it or whitelisted only their dongles to work.
    Atleast on my BGA 15r2 Dell disabled TYpe C port and TB3 due to power surge issue due to faulty TI 65892 USBC PD Chip. I'm waiting for Ryzen Thinkpads to arrive in India and 15r2 will be EOL as daily driver lappie for me.
    Dell HW/SW is a complete mess. Too many hands are in different pockets or checking something else!

Darkhan likes this.