*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Unfortunately the solder is of really bad quality and nothing like for example the Sandy bridge line quality solder.

c69k and Vistar Shook like this.
  2. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Considering Gamerz Nexus got around 4 degree drop from liquid metal I'd say the solder isn't bad quality. Sure they clearly could've used something better. But I think the high temps are more to with intel rushing to stay ahead of amd ryzen.

Alias likes this.
  3. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My delidded and Binned 9900k just arrived today from Silicon Lottery, interested to see what difference if any from the oem 9900k that is coming with my system.

Mr. Fox, c69k, mason2smart and 3 others like this.
  4. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Where did you get yours? I've been considering getting one down the road depending on members results.

5. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I realize we're more interested in what 51m can do in today's latest article, as opposed to say shenanigans over at Tom's Hardware inside that same article, which I'd like to discuss - shenanigans - so feel free to bail out if review shenanigans isn't your cup of tea

Benchmarks
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    Note the Alien is up against, oh, Origin's older 8700k/1080 & a mix of MSI'S older & newer GT75, & does well in those charts. I'm interested in 8700k/1080 benchmarks, so I did some detective work on Origin's benchmarks - like where they came from - & not to my surprise, Tom's used Sand Bags, probably on purpose to show the 51 out & ahead

Today's 51 article is by A.Freedman, & the benchmarks he used for the Origin are from a Jan 2018 review by S.Smith @ LaptopMag (those #'s are poor) ... I found it odd that Freedman would choose Jan 2018 benches done by S.Smith since he himself reviewed the Origin in Sept 2018 where it did better, & he compounded this folly by refusing to post his own better #'s
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    Note that S.Smith did her own review of an MSI GT75 just last week Jan.29 LaptopMag

The point is, between all of these Benches floating around, Origin & new MSI did better than today's published benchmark charts show:

ROTTR
    Origin 74 | MSI 76 | 51m 92
    (Today's Chart)
    Origin 69 | MSI 76

Hitman
    Origin 128 | MSI 140 | 51m 143
    (Today's Chart)
    Origin 96 | MSI 96​
    Freeman Sept 2018 Review
    [​IMG]
    Smith Jan 2019
    [​IMG]
    GTAV
    Origin 69 | MSI 110 (spoiler earlier) | 51m 105
    (Today's Chart)
    Origin 55 | MSI 76​

Productivity Performance​
    Freedman's article today also contains charts for GeekBench4, File Transfer Test & Handbrake, using sand bags from the Jan2018 S.Smith article, instead of his own Sept 2018 article

Origin GeekBench4
    Today's Chart 21,273
    9/2018 24,869

Origin File Transfer
    Today 565.5
    9/2018 865​

I don't have time to look into where the Aorus X9 #'s are from & can't say if they're sandbags or not

I have no interest in the Origin, MSI, or Giga; I do have an interest in what appears to be the intentional use of mis-leading #'s --> why would a guy quote someone else's older review on some sister-site when he can quote his own newer review, & in some instances NOT quote the same sister-site review WITH better #'s <-- Cherry Picking ... In some respects we may have an answer for why the world's most powerful DTR is still stuck over at Tom'sHardware getting a puff-piece shill review 'paid advertisement'. I suspect we'll see the same from the Alien's favorite shills over at HotHardware soon also. I have a choice to delete this post & my research, or post it; I can't flush it due to time invested, sorry

I'm glad to see the cream rises to the top - I'm also aware that plugging in better #'s didn't help the competition much - but when DTRs trade blows I'd like to see an honest fair fight when it happens

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Ashtrix, ssj92, alexnvidia and 9 others like this.
  7. m1key

m1key Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know of a similar single power supply unit out there for the Area 51m (I guess its early stages now) like the Eurocom 780w to replace 2x Power supplies that works on the MSI and Clevo?

8. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Fresh raid and thought about this thread. No changes or mods or performance tricks.
    raid0test1.PNG

PS. The P870 does have raid 1. Does anyone know if the A51M does?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  9. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think Dell locks down the use off brand power supplies. I know I read about it awhile back. Can't remember if it was physical or software related. I'm sure someone will test it once we get our hands on them.

I'm just gonna duct tape mine together and call it a day. ;)

10. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lol. Seems like there is a market for someone to create a single holder for both of the adapters for easy movement, instead of lugging them both separately. One of the minor things that irks me about this laptop.