*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    It depends upon what frequency are you running and what voltage is being used as well. I use 937mV with 1950 MHz on GPU clock. GPU boost pushes it up all the way to near 2GHz. These temps that I shared are the worst case temps without any aircon in a boiling room. I normally keep the aircon ON but sometimes I turn it off depending upon the humidity and comfort situation indoors. The ambient temps are between 30-35 when sunny here in Singapore and in my server room things can get a little hotter because I have a full rack of servers, switches and a couple of water distillers + dehumidifiers running pretty much all the time. Max temp that I've recorded in there is 41 degrees (Celcius, not Fahrenheit) without aircon during day time. With aircon turned on, the temps are VERY nice and my GPU can stay close to 2 GHz comfortably while running the same 937mV voltage, thanks to the GPU boost.

That hotrod needs a delid with some good old liquid metal between the dye and IHS along with an undervolt. It's nothing unusual for these chips. You should be able to safely undervolt anywhere from -100mV to -150mV. Once intel XTU stress test and cinebench run without crash with your undervolt, run a game like NFS payback to test CPU stability. I have noticed that even if Cinebench doesn't crash the CPU, NFS Payback will if the undervolt is too much. NICE job with the repaste/repad btw! :vbthumbsup:

That's a thermaltake massive 20 RGB pad. What I like about it is that it is SUPER quiet and the air flow is really nice at the same time. Plus it has plush rubber feet that keep the laptop from sliding down when on an incline and the size is big enough to comfortably seat my machine. I notice roughly 1.5-2 degrees celcius difference between fan off and fan on full with incline on 2nd notch (it has 2 notches for incline with 2nd being at higher angle). And the RGB lighting is quite awesome. Personally I use it more for the comfort of incline angle that it provides as I really like typing on the inclined keyboard. It helps me keep my hands away from the wrist rest and is super comfy for long duration typing sessions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019
    FXi and Nomadsan74 like this.
  2. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Right you are...

We about 25-28C here thou, but of course it's not bad at all.

S.K likes this.
  3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    There is more to it than meets the temps. The crucial components on both DGFF and beside the motherboard socket never get to report their temperatures and can only rely on careful application of pads by the person who put the heat sink on. So I wouldn't recommend merely relying on sensor data to estimate the shape your computer's thermal dissipation system because it is mostly inaccurate until you make sure that it is done right. If not, it is almost a gamble, especially in an insanely powerful hot machine like this.

4. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks S.K.

Next step is undervolting for GC & CPU Indeed :).

I was thinking to send my i9 9900k to a well known IT store here in France that offer to delid your CPU in Paris for Something like 30€ and they offer a warranty on the CPU & their operation plus testing of his limits...

But this would require to unscrew this sandwich monster once again :D...

S.K likes this.
  5. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My recommendation would be not to do it immediately.

You've had to wait a long time for a functional laptop, almost ended up canceling the order because of the ordeal you endured, had to wait for a 2080 based system to show up in France for a few weeks and finally after 2 plus months of your initial payment, got a fully functional desktop replacement.

Why don't you just enjoy the laptop now? Install your favorite games and blast through it with the beast you have on your hands. You've already repasted and repadded the system, now it's time you enjoyed it to its max!

AFAIK, only S.K. and Captain are using delidded CPU with their machine at the moment (I was the third but my system crapped out, I don't plan to delid anymore) and most users are getting awesome temperature here especially after a undervolt. You can look for a delid option once you've quenched your initial thirst of playing with this beast first! In other words, look for a boob job only after the "original" get saggy. :) Haha

TLDR: why fix if it ain't broken?

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

6. Timoonn

Timoonn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, got my 51m yesterday. Didnt put so many things on it, but first impression is boi what a reactive stuff. Nothing surprises that i9 when having casual web browsing, it never pass 10% usage.
    Im waiting to get division 2 so i can run the benchmark and try some undervolt and keep the fans off when not gaming

I have noticed two things on my device: the full hd screen is not perfectly centered in the chassis.
    Its right side follow the screen frame but the left side has an offset of 2mm between screen left pixels and the frame.
    Also, there is tiny tilt. Distance screen/frame at bottom left: 2mm, at top left: 1.5mm. Its minor but meh.

I'll not intend any screen, change, cuz it has no dead pixels, kinda clean lighting, great colours.
    (they changed a 100% fine screen on my 17r3, the "new" screen got 4 dead pixels, light flickering...)

Second: when at 40%, the fans create vibration (really noticeable on the palmrest) and a kinda anoying rumble. Below and above 40%, nothing.
    40% is the second fan level, slower speed is 35% and slower is fans off. Most of the time the fan runs 35%. Im Running the silence mode (ambiant temp 27c)

I guess perfection does not exist :oops:

edit:

also I tried to see if the 51m can lay on my cooler Thermaltake Tai Chi M+ cooler (kinda old and with inefficient fans) https://www.dvhardware.net/review99_3_tai-chi-m.html

Due to its form, its not stellar. The AW intake vents rest on the "plain" non-vented cooller surface. Ill have to find something else, or simply let the laptop flat on the desk.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    FXi and Papusan like this.
  7. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Nice advice to consider indeed... :vbthumbsup::vbthumbsup::vbthumbsup:

Let's enjoy before tweaking...

Anyway it's a very silent unit on idle... feels very strange compared to the back-up laptop (Alienware M14X) I was running meanwhile...full of dust and suffering NOT in silence :D :D

8. jorotaruGuy

jorotaruGuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Area-51m backpack finally available to purchase in Canada! My rewards were literally going to expire tomorrow, on the 20th, so perfect timing. I was about to buy a Vindicator 2.0 bag last weekend, but then I thought, "I've been waiting almost 3 months; what if they decide to put it in the shop next week? I'd be pissed" Glad I waited.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/mob...dark-grey-for-alienware-area-51m/apd/aa451815

LoneSyndal likes this.
  9. Truckasauras

Truckasauras Newbie

Reputations:
    So my Alienware Area-51M arrived today. So excited!

I got Windows 10 Pro with mine, but it's saying that Windows can't be activated on the device right now.

Anyone have this issue before?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just heard of this @ole!!! , anyone tried it? Only for the 9th gen K CPU's, from Intel:

Intel® Performance Maximizer
    Version: 1.0.1.602 (Latest) Date: 6/17/2019
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28772/Intel-Performance-Maximizer

Intel Performance Maximizer Pushed Our i9-9900k To 5 1GHz, Or Did It?
    WccftechTV
    Published on Jun 19, 2019
    Intel has released their Performance Maximizer software for easy overclocking of unlocked 9th gen Core i5, i7, and i9 socket 1151 CPUs. We let it do its thing on our i9 9900K to see what it could do!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    LoneSyndal, Vasudev, FXi and 8 others like this.