*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah i did miss this.
    But then they throw in a generalized statement like the system can get quite loud without specifying any decibel measure. :(

2. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I agree, I was a little confused when looking at the games they tested, no clue why they decided to go with those.

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    As much as I love TT, that was one of the least scientific reviews I've seen. May as well say "numbers were bigger with raid, we recommend it."

Here is an example of what I saw with RAID SM951A's vs normal:

Single drive:
    as-ssd-bench NVMe SAMSUNG SM951 1.28.2017 10-45-55 AM.png

Raid:
    as-ssd-Raid SM951a 6.14.2017 12-13-40 PM.png

Not really worth the effort in my opinion, especially with the drop in 4k randoms and increased latency...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  4. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am not sure what we expect to see in these reviews? A lot of watts (200W + 100W ?), same heatsink, same thin laptop chassis, same crappy thermal paste, how can heat be dissipated better, if not by magic? I expect the new AW51m to be equally as hot as the AW17R5 and to have very similar heat issues.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. severous

severous Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,
    Do you think that we can repast with LM the RTX 2080 and I7 9700K without delid?
    I'm afraid when i saw picture of dell paste on CPU GPU...

6. 1Schumsta1

1Schumsta1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will do it. First is testing, check if all is okay with chassis etc. But after this (20 mins i think :D ) i will start disassambling, repaste and say good bye to my constant companion - AW18 :'(

I dont know what i should do about delid... If i delid the cpu and i need to send this machine back, what will happen. Will i loose my warranty? I dont get a second 9700K for this.. xD

7. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You should be fine without delidding the 9700K since it is soldered. Delidding will improve temps quite a bit, but not as much as before, when Intel was using grease. Plus it is not the 9900K so probably runs a litlle cooler.

raz8020 likes this.
  8. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did they notify you that ypur order was cancelled or did you have to call them to find out? And did they have a reason? As of right now mine still says confirmed. Even though the rep I talked to a few days ago said it was in preproduction with so many saying they had their orders cancelled has me on edge.

9. raz8020

raz8020 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I would also like to see how it (the model with 9900k+2080+the bigger HS) behaves in those games, but I need to see the power draw for the CPU and GPU. Considering that it is all stock, even a + 90C CPU avr. temperature would be ok IF the CPU would constantly be at 119W and the GPU near the 180W limit.

Without knowing the power draw, those temperatures are almost meaningless. Also, we don't know how high were the temperature spikes and how often (in a 30 min test, you can have spikes in the 100C range and still have an avr. of ~90C).

For now, the best data that we have regarding the thermals, is from the Chinese video review, where the A51M that they tested, has the smaller HS which apparently is the same as the one from Tomshardware review.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One thing you can conclude from that is the CPU (and possibly GPU) does throttle down during the test. The average temp of ~90C is bad. It's not helping to know that they did proceed with 6mm pipes. The only hope is that Dell did a very crappy factory paste job (that I can bet money on actually, those guys never learn). So, in short - you know nothing [yet], John Snow...

mobile96, Vistar Shook and raz8020 like this.