*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you extract the contents of the Realtek audio driver for the Area 51m you can find this folder inside: "RealtekHDAudio\Win64\ThirdParty\A-Volute\A-Volute APO\" with the all the nahimic binaries. You could try installing the "A-VoluteNh3ApoSwc.inf" from that folder manually. I think the package installer has a bug and does not trigger the installation of those services.

FXi and Spartan like this.
  2. Timoonn

Timoonn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does this also block update from Support Assist?

3. Farrago

Farrago Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Amroth; very good of you to take the time to do this and much appreciated!

Amroth likes this.
  4. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think so, because it's an application controlled by Dell and they will keep pushing every update they release. I recommend removing that app and downloading the drivers manually from Dell website.
    The other trick will only work for windows update application.

VoodooChild, Spartan and c69k like this.
  5. Timoonn

Timoonn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Its not a problem for me to let Supportassist updating, but I just do not want windows update to mingle into that kind of stuff.

Tomorrow, my 51m will be delivered.:D

Spartan likes this.
  6. Sunnydora

Sunnydora Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was just finished my first repaste and repad. In anyone is wondering, I used only 2.0mm thermal grizzly pad and I only used about half of the 100x100 one. However I do found myself in a strange situation. I am not sure if it is the repaste, but now I see my GPU reach thermal limit on 66C which was really weird. I am running at 1.50 BIOS and the 200w vbios. Not sure what is going on.

7. Rangoon

Rangoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what DAC the Area-51M has? I can't find any info on the product page. @ssj92 or @iunlock - do you guys happen to know? Or even just the general quality of what's in there?

Rei Fukai, FXi and Spartan like this.
  8. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice! Just recieved my pads in the mail this morning, going to repad after lunch.

How was the process? I hope I didn't waste money on pads... I bought 120x120 of 1mm and 120x120 of 1.5mm, and only an 80x40 of 2mm... If I only use 2mm I might not have enough, and I'll have wasted $45 on pads I won't use.

Let's hope my system is a little different!

9. Sunnydora

Sunnydora Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update, I am not sure what exactly helped, but I turned off the buttery boost function in GeForce Exp (I have never opened it so I don't think it is causing the strange 66C throttling. I also opened my computer again and found that the two 1.5mm pads I used was not making a nice contact with the chips so I took them out and used 2.0mm pad instead. Then I also noticed that on the copper cooler of the GPU, there's only about three fourth of area is covered in paste, so I guess maybe I used too little paste on the GPU. Anyway, I did a repaste on the GPU to make sure every surface is covered in paste. This time I was able to return back to my old performance with an improved temp (maxed 80C in benchmark). I am totally lost here since it is my first time paste/pad a laptop. But I want to put these out anyway, maybe it could be helpful for someone else.
    In fact I did a repad (see my above comment lol) In my case the 1.5mm was not making proper contact with the chips (there's no pressure mark like the others). I am not sure if that is reason that is causing my 66C throttling but I switched to 2.0 mm anyway. In general I would say it was a fun/taxing experience. The most difficult part for me was to cut the pad into the exact shape like the stock ones. However I didn't have a ruler so I just used a pair of scissors and cut them based on my eye estimation. If you don't mind take some time and do the measure and have some better tools for the cutting, I would say the entire repad should not cost you more than half an hour(not including take the beast apart) As to the dimension, I wasted $40~$50 for those 1.0 mm and 1.5 mm pads so I hope that you can return some of those if yours turned out to be like my case. In retrospective, I believe S.K.'s modified suggestion is the optimal one. Just go for 2.0 mm, it would still work even if it is too thick, your cooler will squeeze it anyway. Good luck my friend!

c69k likes this.
  10. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ahh okay, thanks man!

Going to start pulling the machine apart now, I just hope I have enough 2mm...