*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agreed. The first review was from their sister company, they all seem to dodge the crucial stuff laptop enthusiasts want to know, paid reviews nothing more.

2. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah its like they are not realizing this is an enthusiast product which is marketed to a crowd that is looking for desktop performance while being portable and hence why would you not do your review looking at what is important to that segment example processor performance vs an external system, throttling, temps etc..

alberty and Vistar Shook like this.
  3. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah from first link was also disappointed, who play those games nowaday, maybe I play sometimes gtaV but with 1070maxq very high I can also getting 100ish FPS. But internal and gpu Photo comparison is great to see from second link.

4. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tear-down looks straightforward enough. Those M.2 drives are going to get warm in there I'd wager - also right next door to the battery. I'm hoping this has good thermals as Dell are starting to get a bit of a reputation....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2019
  5. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    looks like they got the ,,smaller,, heatsink with their 99k and 2080 config... one shared pipe is missing...

6. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This was stated in the article, is this not what you’re talking about?

“The CPU ran at an average clock speed of 4.7 GHz and an average temperature of 89.4 degrees Celsius (192.9 degrees Fahrenheit). The GPU’s average temperature was 82.9 degrees Celsius (181.2 degrees Fahrenheit).”

Alias and Vistar Shook like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Have you read same reviews as me?

"To stress test the Area-51m, I ran the Metro: Last Light benchmark 10 times in a row, which simulates roughly half an hour of gaming. During those runs, it ran at an average of 108.9 fps, with runs ranging from 112 fps to occasional dips as low as 104 fps. The CPU ran at an average clock speed of 4.7 GHz and an average temperature of 89.4 degrees Celsius (192.9 degrees Fahrenheit). The GPU’s average temperature was 82.9 degrees Celsius (181.2 degrees Fahrenheit). The cooling system can get quite loud"

mason2smart, Alias, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  8. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have 2x500 SSDs RAID0 and an onboard spinner for backup. The RAID0 *might* not fail... but it is taking 2x chances of a single SSD failing, so onboard backup for the win.

Homer

Woodking likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Tweaktown's ssd testers has always been reliable... One of the best ssd testers/tweakers out there.

"Throughout our testing, we saw compelling performance from both of our dual drive 950 Pro arrays. There really is no question in our minds; a bootable PCIe array makes for the ultimate operating system disk. Some of you will undoubtedly have concerns about the increased potential for data loss that RAID 0 introduces into the mix. To us, there is really not much of a reason for concern. SSDs have become extremely reliable and of all the arrays we've run over the years, exactly none have failed. We do encourage taking system images/backups on a regular basis which is a practice that we encourage for a standard OS disk as well.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/...cie-gen-3x4-nvme-ssd-raid-report/index11.html

10. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To be honest, I did miss it since I had scrolled straight to the heat section.

But then on second look the games they have run are not great tests.

I would like someone testing a laptop or PC in 2019 to use Battlefield 1/V or the AC odyssey series as they are really brutal on CPU usage and the one's that break or make a laptop especially.

mason2smart, raz8020 and Vistar Shook like this.