*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Be you sure, this will come. With each decrease of thickness to make them even slimmer this will come nearer and nearer. Expect this is the direction for all of the AW models.

Dell is in a steam... And the bell sheep is Frank Azor (Ceo for the XPS line). Just read the article here
    [​IMG]
    Opinion: What on earth is going on with Dell's XPS lineup?

To me, it really looks like Dell are following the very worst plays from Apple's book: prioritizing quiet fans over lower temperatures and performance (XPS 13 9370), ignoring long-standing issues as long as the model is still selling (XPS 15), and now making an expensive laptop completely unrepairable and unupgradable (XPS 13 7390 2-in-1). I know it seems like I'm being overly harsh on Dell and the XPS division here given the amount of other products the American company is putting out, but I know how the industry works and I've seen it too many times to let it go unaccounted for.

Does this look familiar? "Prioritizing quiet fans over lower temperatures". This have also been AW's mantra the last years. I have complained about this many years ago for my own Alienware 17. But for none ears.

Edit.
    See also my post here... http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...m-owners-lounge.826831/page-370#post-10875432

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Ashtrix, raz8020, etern4l and 2 others like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Alienware Area 51m problems seem tame in comparison...
    Dell's On Fire!! No... really, the Dell's are burning up! Going too thin does Dell in, keep a bucket full and lay the laptop vents up, just in case...

Help with XPS 15 that burned up
    submitted 7 days ago by vmaq2sc
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/by7lrb/help_with_xps_15_that_burned_up/?sort=new

Mat_Uscenes 1 point 1 day ago*
    "That is scandalous. Amazon has turned off reviews because there must be so many bad ones."

Dell woes continue as XPS 15 self-destructs
    [​IMG]
    The charred remains of an XPS 15 9560.
    (Image source: Reddit)

"With Dell starting to blame customers if their XPS 15 9570 overheats when asleep, one getting so hot that it explodes would be rather inconvenient PR. That is the state that one person arrived home to see their XPS 15 in, and Dell customer support has not been forthcoming on helping them resolve the matter."

ComputerSavvy 32 points 7 days ago
    "If they can not get it through their head that a FIRE made obtaining the Service Tag impossible, maybe it's time to contact the CPSC.

CPSC.gov
    https://www.cpsc.gov/About-CPSC/Contact-Information

"If I or someone in my family was harmed by a consumer product, can I report it to CPSC?

Yes. We welcome and encourage you to report any safety concern about a consumer product through our website, SaferProducts.gov. You can also report to us by phone Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET at (800) 638-2772 or teletypewriter at (301) 595-7054. CPSC accepts reports by Fax at the toll-free phone number (855) 221-6466 and by postal mail. Fill out and mail this form in English or Spanish to:

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
    Attn: Reports
    4330 East West Highway
    Bethesda, MD 20814"

If the words "I'll be filing a formal complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission BECAUSE THERE WAS A FIRE, you know, that government agency that issues product recalls" does not get their attention, well, they deserve what they get.

Write to Dell's marketing department, the people who staff Dell's customer help line may not have any functioning brain cells but Dell's marketing department does.

You could also CC this to their legal department too.

You could word your letter something like this:

"I'm trying to get a serious issue resolved and customer service is of no help whatsoever and I am hoping you could help me with this issue.".

<Insert dates / times / number of calls and results of those calls>

Politely explain to them the timeline of what you have done in contacting Dell's customer service, how you were treated, the stonewalling you have experienced.

"At this point, I feel that I only have two other options available to me but I would prefer to have this issue resolved in a more respectful way.

"I could file a formal complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the department that is responsible for doing product recalls of consumer equipment or I could turn to social media to make my position known as to how my Dell computer caused smoke damage to my property and almost burned down my entire house and Dell completely ignored me when I called them.".

If legal or marketing calls another department within Dell, someone at Dell will probably listen to what they have to say.

If that does not get their attention, well they deserve what comes next if they don't help you.

Release the Kracken."

Sounds like good advice for the burned up Area 51m's too, someone could report this potential fire hazard for investigation by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

popokatopetl 3 points 4 days ago
    "There's evidence of Dell downplaying the battery fire hazard issue because of cutting the costs for replacing inflated batteries, here and at their community support forum. Gather it before it starts disappearing."

DellCares 1 point 1 day ago
    "Hi, I hope you're well. We have been discussing this case internally, and would like to talk with you about the best possible solutions. Could you share your email address or phone number via a private message so that we can this to a resolution."

Oh, yeah, Dell's on Fire now. ;)

raz8020, etern4l, Joikansai and 4 others like this.
  3. Asakura

Asakura Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got my 51M Thursday, and so far only had two issues. First being the gpu throttling at 50-55C instead of 85, which was resolved; and the second issue being the sound ports on the left. I use a Senheiser PC37x with the cable that came with it (Headset+mic). No matter how I plugged them the Mic would never work, at first I figured maybe it's too short, as even though the headphones would get sound, the top port would cut out the left side at any movement, and both would have pop sounds. I ended up buying an adapter that plugs both the Headphone and Mic into a single port for the bottom one (the headset with mic port) and the mic still isn't working, and there's still random pop sounds.

I've tried all the settings through W10, Realtek Control, as well as Alienware settings, even re-installed the drivers and no change.

4. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well there are plenty of other companies that don't have soldered down laptops that will gladly take my money. And when Alienware soldered the SSD's like the xps 15 I'll be faaaar away. Heck no buddy.

Honestly if this keeps up I'll go back to desktops full time and snag a tablet for my video needs.

FXi, etern4l, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  5. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    We run a binary comparation and it's exactly the same. Nobody checks if a file has changed by just looking at the size.

_deadbydawn_, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  6. Dagr

Dagr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sigh, anyone have trouble with the Realtek audio console recently? I can't for the life of me get it to work after reinstalling the main Realtek drivers... it says generically "Realtek Audio Console doesn't support for this machine" (great english!).

Anyway, tried removing it, removing the drivers, restarting, reinstalling driver then console... nothing. No change... audio console doesn't work. Pisses me off.

EDIT-> The sound section in AWCC also has disappeared...

7. Drrockso99

Drrockso99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess I misunderstood what you guys were saying earlier then. Thanks.

Xatanú likes this.
  8. Dagr

Dagr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Nyceis , did you ever get this working? I realize it was a very old post, but it's the problem I'm not having and scratching my head over...

EDIT: screw it, just rolled back to a restore point from this morning and it's fine again... ; ) Grr, no idea why it was doing that. So strange.

9. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys, been having some BSOD issues with my 51m lately. Waa hoping to get some help resolving the issue, most likely caused by a driver.

Anyways it happens when launching games I get a 'kernal heap mode corruption' bsod. I've gotten another similar one, but cant remember the name.

Windows also never creates a minidump for some reason. In event viewer I get the error 'dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation (event 161, volmgr.)

I'd appreciate some help figuring out what's going on. This just started a few days ago, no major updates or anything in the past couple of weeks, when I upgraded to 1903.

Edit: I DO have dumo files on in settings, but when i check windows folder, there is no Minidump file..

10. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had these exact same issue a week ago and had to clean install Windows 3 times in one day, I swear I'm not exaggerating, 3 times before I got a stable system. Even Whocrashed didn't help as there was no dump file to access just like what you're experiencing...

This is what fixed it for me:
    Download latest drivers from Dell including the nvidia drivers and keep it on a separate drive
    Download Windows 1903 ISO from Microsoft and make a bootable flash drive
    Clean install Windows with manual formatting of the boot drive
    Once installed, do not use Wifi or Ethernet (very important) , Install the drivers(there a new chipset driver on Dell's site) using Ultra Male's installation order while rebooting everytime when promoted
    Once all drivers are ready, update Windows 10 first and reboot a few times until every update is loaded to the system.

Do your Windows tweaks like ShutUP10 and WPD.APP only AFTER everything has been updated including your Windows Store stuffs like apps and Forza Horizon 4 and other games you might play.

Only after these steps, I was able to have a BSOD free experience for 2 days straight and then my system died on me completely. LOL

Hope this helps.

If you find a solution without involving a clean format, please do post here as it'll help many users in the future. I'm sure you're not the only one with the BSOD experience.

Good luck

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Spartan and SacraficeMyGoat like this.