*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Sawtoothwav

Sawtoothwav Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What bios and vbios do you guys recommend I run?

2. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Does anyone have pictures of any burnt Area51m boards?

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Here... I expect you talked about the MB.
    4A7F0DF9-61FC-456D-936D-DFFA6E11C72C.jpeg

Btw. I know you sometimes talk to Alienware's people who decide. Have you got some proper answers from them when they finally will follow Intel's specifications for memory speed in Area-51m? Or is this info they rather prefer to hold for themself and don't want talk about? Next months we are half a year since this model was presented for the press and ready for being shipped out.
    upload_2019-6-15_23-36-45.png
    And Dell have offered 2666MZ ram stick support for most of their notebook models the last 1-2 years (Alienware and Dell's own branded cheaper notebooks). Say they didn't know what specs would be for Intel's processors when they designed the MB ain't valid. Because I can't see a single reason outside they designed and developed the MB for Area-51m without the proper paths and traces for faster memory. Thanks

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Ashtrix, FXi, Rei Fukai and 4 others like this.
  4. giltee

giltee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Pardon the dumb question, but what would be the real-world benefit of the RAM running at 2666 vs 2400? I’m sure it would be overall snappier performance, but would it be closer to 10% better or just closer to 1%?

5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The m15 even supports 2666 MHz RAM :rolleyes:

FXi, Rei Fukai and Papusan like this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Not the big differences but not allow ram sticks equal Intel’s specs is pretty special. With possibility for ram adjustment in bios you should easily could run many sticks +-3000MHz. Even with the cheapo awful thin MSI GS65 some is able to run sticks above that speed.
    And the successor the thinner m15 r2 has soldered 2666 ram:) Same also for the big brother AW m17 r2. But maximum ram size is capped at 16GB. For both due Intel’s max allowed size specs for soldered ram.

Some of Dell’s models had even 2926Mhz ram support. I think Dell reduced this to 2666MHz in later firmware for those models. Aka they downgraded ram speed support without shame.

Ashtrix, raz8020, c69k and 2 others like this.
  7. Drrockso99

Drrockso99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would it be possible for someone to update to Dell's most recent version of the bios, and test if the throttling issue is still present please? I've seen several responses that the new 1.5.4 bios is identical to the previous 1.5.4, but I don't believe I've seen anybody actually say that they have tested it. How would we know unless we try it out? Wouldn't the file size stay the same if they went in and changed a value from 75 to 85, and then re-uploaded it?

My unit died after ten days of relatively light use, and now six weeks later, I'm about to have a replacement sent to me. But as of right now I believe I could still tell them to keep it and just refund my money. I'm trying to determine whether or not that's what I want to do, but I need somebody to please actually test the most recent bios upload. Dell says they fixed it. Prove that they're lying and I'll feel much better about losing my investment in shipping costs, rush build costs, and the restocking fees they'll no doubt hit me with for not being happy with a gimped laptop.

8. Amroth

Amroth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Whaaaa? That's terrible! It's a shame because the r2's look very sexy IMO with the new legend design

FXi and Papusan like this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    They soldered on the Wifi card as well. Only the storage is upgradeable in the new m branded AW models:) But for how long?:rolleyes: The question is how long it will take before they follow the XPS brand and solder on the ssd's.

Ashtrix, FXi, etern4l and 3 others like this.
  10. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It gets worse if you look at the service manual. Soldered wifi, flipped motherboard, and the cooling solution has less screws than the R1 do to some of the brackets sharing a screw hole. I was ok with the soldered Ram, but once everything else was pointed out to me I lost interest real quick. As @Papusan pointed out it's any wonder the ssd storage aren't soldered.

FXi, etern4l, c69k and 3 others like this.