*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you for sharing this here, it'll help someone in the future for sure. I have already tried everything I could find on the internet and nothing worked for me. I think this is a case of a bricked motherboard. So, I will leave it now and wait for the replacement unit.

And in terms of McKenna, may God rest his soul. One of the finest teachers of our generation...

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I only keep 99% iso propyl alcohol near my computer. I hope that's potent enough. :p

3. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So regarding that nagging 1.5.4 and the tweets from a week or two ago:

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.K likes this.
  4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    That seems to be the exact same old 1.5.4 version to me. I doubt if they have half a clue about what they are saying. Just revert back to 1.5.0 or 1.3.2 and you should be fine.

Spartan likes this.
  5. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The thing is I have always been on 1.5.0. Dell just finally updated on the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.K likes this.
  6. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Are you on 1903? Have you been able to get the Realtek audio controls working?
    Do you by chance have discord?

7. warcobra

warcobra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So as much as I was excited to try the Area 51m out I had to cancel. They gave me the run around again. They can't give me an answer as to why I am not getting mine shipped when other's are shipping out. I am really not to upset though because after keeping up here and other places and seeing the issues some are having I am willing to wait for the next beast laptop. I really needed one as I am going away soon but I will make due with my Alienware 13 R3 with a Alienware Graphics Amp. As much as I will really miss having 120+ hz gsync display for a while. The only thing I am worried about though is the fact that this machine from it's core fan base of "Desktop Replacement" level laptops is not doing super well with the promises not being delivered and in-fact going backwards. I know there are some on here and beyond that are having a great experience so far and I hope that continues but with the amount of unknown issues with the area-51m and the amount of return's and the amount of area-51m in the outlet is not good. The outlet is almost all ticking time bombs and will continue to hurt the the image of this laptop. Also this is not going to be good for the continuation of the DGFF for future laptops. I really hope that it continues and grows but for now I don't this it looks to good. I really hope everyone here the has issues continues to get it figured out so you guys can have a kicking good time on the laptop. I will be sticking around here because of my interest in this area of mobile computers and will be keeping an eye on the MSI GT76 Titan to see how that one does with its promises.

Rei Fukai and VoodooChild like this.
  8. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't do anything that has to do with chatting.

Here is the thing, if I clean install Windows, be it 1809 or 1903, I would not find the Alienware Audio Icon in the Command Center unless I plug in my Alienware Headset. The moment I remove it the Alienware Audio Control disappears.

Part of this is, with the factory image of this Alienware Area-51m, if you check the startup entries using Autoruns, you'd find entries pertaining to nahimic both as in services and tasks. I think that's behind having the Alienware Controls. Now, on a clean install, if you install the Realtek Drivers, they do not add those Nahimic entries, neither does installing the Alienware Sound Control from the Windows Store add them.

So what I ended up doing is waste an entire day to go back to the factory image (which I have uploaded on my Google Drive if anyone needs it), then had to go through the trouble of uninstalling all the ancient drivers that ship with the unit and their traces, then uninstalled McAfee, then ran the McAfee Products Removal Tool to get rid of its traces as well. Then installed all the latest drivers before going online so Windows won't install anything on its own through Windows Updates.

Even if you updated to 1903 at this point, you would still have the Alienware Audio in Command Center working with or without a headset connected.

I didn't upgrade to 1903 yet though as it offers nothing new, only decreases my performance. So unless it is being force fed to me through Windows update, I won't bother updating again.

2019-06-15_223829.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Fire Tiger, c69k and Papusan like this.
  9. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Thanks!
    I'm interested in the factory image.

10. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Alienware Area-51m Factory Image (Windows 10 Build 1809)

You will need to create a bootable Flash disk using Rufus with this Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk ISO

Other tools you will also need:

McAfee Products Removal Tool
    Killer Uninstaller
    Display Driver Uninstaller

Tips:

1- Ensure you have your LAN cable disconnected
    2- When prompted to connect to the wireless network during the initial setup wizard, hit SKIP otherwise Windows will just start installing driver updates left and right. Only connect to the internet after you have uninstalled all what you want and installed the latest drivers offline
    3- Display Driver Uninstaller has an option to also remove Audio Drivers, DO NOT use that otherwise it will wipe the Nahimic stuff. Only use it to get rid of the Intel and nVIDIA Graphics Drivers

c69k, alberty, Fire Tiger and 2 others like this.