*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think you have made an electrical fault hense the heating up, it most likely will be a lead connector put badly or bent pins. Maybe also LM has leaked where it should not causing shorts. How about disconnecting the GPU card, make sure all is clean and properly inserted. Remove all drives, wifi, RAM everything you can. Run off of the battery.

Sunnydora likes this.
  2. cootje1976

cootje1976 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here in Sweden it is about the same: 7 to 10 days from China to your door. Here we have DB Schenker, all the way to the door, and that is a absolutely ****ty service. Mine was sent on the 11th from China, so I reckon mine will be in next week hopefully before midsummer.... And my on call shift..

Looks like a lovely IKEA water bottle. If it is Vodka do not drink and fix the rig... Did that once and that didn't work out that well... ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2019
    Papusan, Rei Fukai and VoodooChild like this.
  3. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If it can't be fixed with vodka, it can't be fixed period... ;-p

cootje1976 and VoodooChild like this.
  4. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys, so I ordered some Gelid Extreme Thermal PADS. I wasn't expecting them to come for at least a month or so, but I think they'll be here next week.

Anyways, I'll be putting them on as soon as they arrive.

Was just curious if there is anywhere I should consider putting pads, where there aren't currently any.

I have the 2070 btw, so no backplate on the DGFF card. I know some people replaced the pads on their 2080s. Would it be a good idea to purchase some small, thin chip heatsinks to place on the backside of the mosfets?

Also, how do gelid extreme pads hold up over time? I've read somewhere they have tearing issues, so I'm curious if I have to pull the heatsink off after I repad, if I'll have to replace the pads again?

Is it possible to salvage the stock pads, or will they dry up over time?

5. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Alright guys, final update. I opened up the entire system once again and took the trouble to check every connection meticulously. No bent pins, no burnt mosfet, no broken cables. I double checked the DGFF cables as they're the flimsiest part of the system. Nothing. It's all good physically. I tried Mr Fox's technique but it has no effect on my system. Tried all sorts of RAM combinations, battery combinations, NADA. She is really Dead!

I also put everything together back again slowly and carefully and did a great job pasting the laptop as well. But when I turn it on, same issue like yesterday. I have now concluded that it's not a RAM error or something that can be fixed without changing the motherboard and the DGFF. I've escalated this issue with Azor and his international team and will give a confirmation on a replacement system in 2 working days. I'm done with it for now. Lets hope the next one will last me longer. Also, I feel sorry for anyone who buys this system refurbished from the outlet. That will be a bad investment if I've ever seen one.

One last thing, it might help some of you in the future, I found the BIOS reset motherboard point "CLRP1" which the Dell technician wanted me to try yesterday, sadly it had no effect on my system. If look on the bottom right side of the CLRP1, there's is a "SW3" reset pin on the motherboard as well. It will save you all from a bad bios flash in the future.
    [​IMG]

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

FXi, steberg, Ultra Male and 5 others like this.
  6. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I didn’t understand: what does the SW3 switch do? I saw it on my mobo and wondered but didn’t dig into it. What’s it for?

7. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think it resets the BIOS but don't quote me on it as it clearly didn't work for me.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

8. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @VoodooChild this might not work but may come in handy for someone else; I believe u have Bios Recovery 2, see Dell (Notebooks) + video: Dell BIOS Recovery Options

I've not used these steps before, but if the premise of this guide is to bring an otherwise bricked (black screen) machine back from the dead, there appears to be a backdoor that can induce / produce video long enough to access the menus needed, which implies a semi-working machine --> if yours fails to produce video this way & you've exhausted Fox's suggestions et al then I'd prolly give up & let tech support handle it, then get on the internet somehow & listen to Terrence McKenna for an hour or two & kill some time ...
    [​IMG]
    An inability to access Step7 (produce video & use this tool) would confirm a fundamental problem (I do wonder if removal of the DGFF card & porting into the on-board CPU GRFX instead might produce video but who knows ... no sweat if you give up on further disassembly ... good luck)

FXi, Papusan, c69k and 3 others like this.
  9. TimeKnight

TimeKnight Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! I've just gotten my 51M and I've noticed that when I plug one of the two adapters into my laptop, no matter which one it is, it keeps giving me a notification that an "undersized adapter has been detected" and I was wondering why/if it's going to affect my computer.

10. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe its just a warning which can be switched off in the BIOS. The machine won't be damaged by only using the one, however, you'll not have the full performance of the GPU until you have both connected.

Papusan likes this.