*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    from a few pics I have seen is one m.2 slot under the battery? If so seems like a terrible place?

mason2smart likes this.
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I am curious if that is something that you or someone else has tested or if that's speculation? It makes sense in theory but I don't think it's that simple.

Similar except using MS Storage Spaces I have it set up as a parity RAID. If one drive fails I'd probably be ok, if multiple failed I would be out of luck (losing everything not just the files on that drive).

3. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    To add to this, nvme isolation and cooling is essential. The battery in both the triton and asus gx501 sits right next to the nvme ssds... My gx501 battery expanded... and of the three units (2 gx501, one triton) the triton is the only one to put a heatsync over the ssds. My battery in my triton is now showing degradation as well but it took about twice as long (5 months) to reach the point its at (~25% wear). Although too many variables are in play to say the ssd heat caused these batteries to fail, i am fairly certain they played a decent role in the cells' rapid degradation.

Woodking likes this.
  4. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone know if you can stack discount codes on the UK site? For example employee advantage and student?

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I mean I have tested this before, but I haven't the numbers. Overheating NVMe ssd's haven't been the problem in the Clevo P870 chassis.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I remain pessimistic. Since 4k randoms are slower you actually spend more time reading small files and I don't think load balancing is really a thing in this regard. I'd love to see some actual data that proves me wrong though.

toughasnails and Vistar Shook like this.
  7. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Whats with all the reviews so far skipping to measure the CPU or GPU temps but rather limit it to just measuring the case temps?

Sigh.. Tomshardware now is a far cry from it's former glory days with most of their reviews now being just overglorified advertisements.

9. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yet another joker review. it's pretty much a repeat of laptopmag review. no details whatsoever, way too simple. it's like they wrote the review in a hurry an hour ago.

at least we get to see the internal. not sure if this is the engineering sample or production unit. looks like 7 heatpipes, one of them sharing

Alias likes this.
  10. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could always leave a second 330w at work and lug the smaller one to and fro...

Homer