*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So at 5ghz 0avx and -100mv u don't reach 85degrees while doing intensive Avx workloads , example , metro exodus 30mins , Ac odyssey 30mins ?

c69k likes this.
  2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I have Metro Exodus but last time I tried it, it would fail to launch on Windows 10 Build 1903 do you think they fixed it now so I can test that for you?

The games I currently have if you want me to test is:

- Battlefield V
    - FIFA 19
    - Need for Speed Payback
    - Assassin's Creed III
    - Assassin's Creed Chronicles
    - Tom Clancy's The Division 2
    - Watch_Dogs 2

Papusan likes this.
  3. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I compared it with the previous 200w version and it's exactly the same, they just changed the installer and included a new certificate, but the ROM is the same across the three 200w versions...

Rei Fukai likes this.
  4. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Welcome to the new improved Russian Roulette, with blackjack and overheating laptops. if you're lucky your laptop will burn you, else it will burn down your house. No warranty included (cause the customer is always wrong, and they use AW products wrong, resulting damage)*

*knowing DELLIENWARE this wouldn't be too crazy.

Papusan and Spartan like this.
  5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    That's a little too much lol! It is not a bomb that'll explode! The most it can do is smoke and the massive metal layer underneath the keyboard will take care of the rest. Plus, if it is to go, it will go within a week at max. If not, then no need to worry later. My unit would have burned a long time ago if it was supposed to do so, considering the amount of torture it undergoes every day + my 14 month old toddler steps on the keyboard every now and then trying to type with both her fists and feet and still no key has popped out either. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    FXi and Rei Fukai like this.
  6. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:

watch this, and read your comment again. when Li-ion get's exposed to air, it will blow up your battery. It has nothing do with personal usage, it has to do with using inferior products, while trying to cover your own @ss. Dell knows this too well, else they wouldn't have re-uploaded the bios a few times without changes (i mean everyone is free to verify the file has like @Ultra Male does.)

Technical support means that if someone calls support, they'll answer (or try) to answer the person. Not shoo them away (like what's been showed a few times here already). I'm not saying the 51m is bad or anything, i'm saying that everything AW has produced in the last 5/6 years is cancer (yes even my soldered R5 which i love BTW, but hate at the same time sometimes). Don't get me wrong, the 51m still looks like a very tempting machine, but when the same company that touts that they can build LGA laptops, solders RAM and a WIFI chip to the mobo, you've lost all credibilty with me. Most people don't know it but the mx14 was available with a LGA. Only the GPU was soldered. That was in 2011 with a 14 inch formfactor. How come they went full BGA ?

no disrespect to you, but you're happy with a fully locked down system while having paid big bucks. I got a 1100 euro discount when i ordered my 17 R5 making it the same price as a fully gtx 1060 build with max storage, or a 1070 build with less storage (@the time of ordering. so paying 2100 euro's for a build that i would've shelled 32xx+ for aint't that bad.)

the mx18 could run two 330W with around 70/80% powersupply's until AW capped it in the mx18 R2. Me personally when i shelled big bucks for a desktop replacement, it better be a desktop replacement. The fact that a year old (or even two years old) Clevo can race past the 51m means AW is heading in the good way, but they still have a long way to go. nevertheless you have a beast of a system, locked down or not, it's just not my cup of tea anymore (first time BGA off my DTR with my 17 R4/R5 last time BGA ever again)

raz8020, c69k, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  7. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm running my machine with about -125mv undervolt, and are using the balanced fan profile most of the time. I'm using HWMonitor Pro to measure the temps, and for most halv-new games at ultra, I rarely go above 70C and the newer games rarely have me go above 80C so far. Ambient temp are about 25-28C now, so that's quite ok in my book.

@S.K - Great work with the BIOS and VBIOS version clarification. I seem to run very stable without throttle now. :)

FXi, Xatanú and S.K like this.
  8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Let's be realistic. This can happen with ANY laptop, irrespective of the brand (the battery explosion thing). And one of the main reasons is over-charging. The Area 51m bios provides a custom charging option which is very useful in this regard. I have capped my battery charging at 75% and my battery does not charge as long as it is between 65% - 75% mark. It only starts charging once it goes below 65% and stops at 75%. That's because I use it mostly when plugged into the wall (plus, keeping the li-ion battery within this range generally prolongs it's life span). If somebody is using a cheap knockoff PSU or a third party PSU which has a 200mV peak to peak ripple, then they have little room to complain.

Regarding your other remark, I can respect that this is not your cup of tea. But let's not defy laws of physics either. That black cinder block is MASSIVE and the weight profile on Area 51m is perhaps the lightest in it's category. There is no way in the real world where you can "have it all" without giving some things up. There is ALWAYS a trade-off. For me, if I want some real desktop stuff to be done, I have multiple Xeon servers that can run 4 GPUs in parallel and I don't even need to water cool those things considering the size of air coolers that I use on them in order to get insane performance. The point of this system is to provide close to desktop performance in a laptop chassis that is slim and light weight. Like I said, there is ALWAYS give and take because laws of physics cannot be defied. I am personally OK with 10 KG laptops (if they make one that heavy). But most of the people out there are not. As far as disrespect goes, I don't think you disrespected anyone by stating your opinion. It's just that yours is quite different from mine, so no worries. ;)

raz8020, FXi and Rei Fukai like this.
  9. Carlayna

Carlayna Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well ive just received mine today and im very dissapointed.

The display/screen is not totally centered in the case.

Is this something normal in a 3k laptop?

10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Which panel are you talking about? Pictures?