*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I have tested the "new" VBios 1.0.0.3 against the older 200W VBios and have seen no difference in game temps AT ALL. Seems to be the exact same to me.

Latostno likes this.
  2. giltee

giltee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just ran HWINFO on the replacement unit I received--it's the model in the configurator that comes with 2TB SSD + 1TB SSHD. Even though the configurator doesn't list the SSDs as NVMe, HWINFO says that they are NVMe after all (Toshiba KXG50ZNV1T02 1TB). So I'm really confused: Does anyone know why this option, with 3TB total storage, would be less expensive than the option that comes with only 2TB total storage? That latter option specifically labels the SSDs as NVMe, but as HWINFO showed me, the less-expensive-more-storage option are also NVMe SSDs. Can someone explain why the option with less storage would be more expensive?

3. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For anyone interested in getting the Windows Precision Touchpad working on the Area 51m, I followed this guide and it works flawlessly. It took 60 seconds and all the options in the windows settings works like it should...

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

ssj92, DrewN, LoneSyndal and 8 others like this.
  4. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does the AW ligntning still work?

5. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ya, works absolutely flawlessly like I said. Even, Alienware Touchpad Controls work. It's as if AW themselves made the driver. All good here.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Dookie1985

Dookie1985 Newbie

Reputations:
    I finally took delivery of my A51m yesterday after around 8 weeks of waiting. Left everything as stock at the moment.

So far, I've only used it to remote in to work and it's already much more quiet than my previous laptop.

Got a game installing to try on my lunch break but cannot wait to put this through it's paces properly.

So far, majorly impressed with the look and the tobii eye tracking.

7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @VoodooChild @Papusan @Mr. Fox @iunlock @ssj92 @custom90gt

This is a pic I took while doing the repaste of Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut (on the CPU) and Phobya Nanogrease (on the GPU)

-15C for the CPU Temps with Conductonaut vs Liquid Ultra and minus 1 degree only with Phobya Nanogrease on the GPU vs IC Diamond.

IMG_20190611_1945490.jpg IMG_20190611_1945547.jpg

raz8020, Prema, ssj92 and 8 others like this.
  8. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A very very nice LM layer you've put on the CPU. It shines bright, and there is no spilling or leaking to see in sight (the layer looks very even everywhere). Past weekeind a did a heatsink lap with a LM repaste, maybe i'll open it up again to see how my heatsink has bonded with the LM. how does your heatsink look/hold after a week off LM

c69k, Darkhan and Ultra Male like this.
  9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I had an old application brush from my previous Liquid Ultra:

[​IMG]

I used that to evenly spread the Conductonaut, I applied like a peasized dot, then slowly brushed it out to the edges, it takes a lot of patience and time to spread out but you'll eventually get there. Towards the middle of the application, I felt that I needed a bit more of Conductonaut as I was running out so I added another squirt and continued until I got it all perfect. Slapped on the heatsink and did some tests and immediately noticed the 15C drop in temps! It's insane what a simple liquid paste/metal job can do. It transformed the laptop from running on the edge of throttling to a perfectly usable beast under any workload.

I don't know how it looks now and I'm not planning on opening it up again. I am a person with very bad patience God knows how I managed to do this :D

10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looking forward to your results. I've been experimenting last week with copper plates that i put on the heatsink so it has more copper to heat up (and because of the slight airflow beneatch my laptop, it will cool off the plate helping my heatsink) and graphene to redirect some warmth of the chassis to the bottom of the laptop (cover plate).

Up till now temps dropped, but i still need to investigate more in to it. I was planning on making my own WC CNC heatsink. but i think i'll create my own heatsink by ordering some copper pipes and soldering them down to a coldplate. That way i can stop the bleeding from the GPU to the CPU. AliExpress has them pipes for cheap, maybe i'll become an boutiqe heatsink manufacturer for laptops lol.

FXi, c69k and Ultra Male like this.