*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Dagr

Dagr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What's the word on the 1.5.4 bios for 2070 systems? Any concerns / troubles / throttling?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. giltee

giltee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks @Ultra Male:(:(That makes me really sad. I spent MORE to go slower on boot-up (which is one of the metrics I care about the most), and I spent MORE to get 1TB less of storage.

If I at least want to add a good aftermarket SSHD, is there one you recommend? I don’t understand why Dell does not offer it as an option to add a 1TB SSHD along with the 2TB NVMe SSDs like it does with the regular SSDs—do you know?

3. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all
    Just FYI
    The Super RTX 20 SERIES is on it‘s way, your embedded RTX 2080, 2070, 2060 in your 51m will become GARBAGE very soon

Attached Files:

FXi likes this.
  4. tito37

tito37 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I’m waiting to see if there will be a refresh in Q4 or Q1 next year. Super GPUs, 1440p and 1080p 240Hz panels, and god I’d love to see Ryzen options.

3800X giving same performance as i9 with much better thermals and efficiency? Sign me up. And maybe AW will have it together by then.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    One thing for sure... Nvidia will continue milking on today's Mobile Turing cards. They aren't older than 4.5 months and you won't see a refresh to Super on long time. AMD have nothing they can compete with for notebooks. Nothing! Please, don't confuse with real desktop cards. And binning chips for Mobile cards take time.

6. tito37

tito37 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    AMD likely to have Navi 20 next year at the latest to compete with 2080 Super/2080Ti. But yeah, I feel for everyone who just got RTX to see Nvidia sell the “unlocked” versions.

7. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I’m just guessing lol

Papusan likes this.
  8. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Whatever! Still soaring with the 2080!

Everything anyone buys will be obsolete eventually. Getting tech right on release is the only way to “reap the benefits longer”... sooo those who have had a 2080 for 4.5 months have been doing exactly that and will continue to do so long after even the “SUPER” versions are obsolete themselves.

9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You also spent more to run hotter - even if the delta in speed isn't particularly noticeable the M.2 onboard controller runs hotter especially in long transfers, and once the heat is introduced most motherboards / laptop cases don't have good thermal dissipation for M.2 drive spaces - so that heat builds up and adds to the overall temps.

On my GT80 the 4 M.2 slots were on either side of the CPU area on the opposite side of the motherboard. I noticed that when running CPU stress tests my M.2 drives - which were idle - would start to "heat up", and that heat stayed for a long time after running the CPU stress test.

When I ran performance transfer tests on the M.2's individually that were next to the CPU, the CPU temp went up and my OC headroom decreased... those 2 M.2's right next to the CPU remained the hottest all the time.

There was no active air flow over the M.2's as designed, but fortunately the GT80 top cover between the keyboard and the screen popped off easily, so I could point a USB fan at the M.2's and the CPU area for additional cooling. It helped benchmarks too :)

Those were SATA drives in my model, the next generation GT80S's got NVME PCIE 3.0 drives, and ran even hotter...

Now, there are new NVME PCIE 3.0 M.2 drives that do run almost as fast as the fastest NVME PCIE 3.0 M.2 drives, but cost the "same" as the mid-range priced SATA drives of today - this is a somewhat recent situation so shop around you may find you can get the fast PCIE 3.0 drives for the same price.

They still run hot and you may not notice a difference, but you are paying the same. :)

10. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well when an upgrade card does appear, you would also have a chance to convert 51m to HDMI 2.1, where the m15/m17 are going to be locked to 2.0b.

tito37 likes this.