*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. raza1983

raza1983 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all

could somone help me in regards to a problem with intel extreme tuning utility? it seems whenever i change settings it asks me to reboot and then once its rebooted it tells me The following settings could not be applied successfully and lists any changes i made.

9700k/rtx2700

2. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Where are you from. The systems are starting to ship. Mine said June 26th and came last week.

3. Truckasauras

Truckasauras Newbie

Reputations:
    Agreed, mine seems to have progressed quickly. I'm in Australia and I placed my order on the 7th of June and it went to shipped yesterday. Expected delivery is from the 18th to 26th of June.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  4. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
  5. Pudge

Pudge Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can feel your pain brother :) Ordered mine 51m (9900k, 2080) on 5th of May and still waiting and this is killing me... And I still don't know how more I still need to wait... I want this crazy machine in my possession now :)

6. giltee

giltee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I suspect that once they determined that the 1.5.4 BIOS gimps the machine enough to avert further catastrophes, they knew they could start quickly filling orders again and that 1.5.4 would hold people over enough until they could develop another BIOS update that eventually fixes the problems without requiring the aggressive throttling.

Quick question: I ended up cancelling my original order, which had a replacement incoming due to burning out, and just recently re-purchased the same machine for over $200 less (due to a stackable 1-day promotion). This time I went with the 2TB RAID 0 NVMe PCIe SSDs (for $90 more), instead of the 2TB non-NVMe RAID 0 PCIe SSDs + 1TB SSHD—was it a mistake, to pay $90 more for 1TB less storage, or will I notice the speed difference going with the NVMe option vs the regular PCIe SSDs?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2019
  7. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You will not notice a thing! Been using SSDs since years. Other than in synthetic benchmarks, you won't be able to tell the difference between an NVMe SSD and a non NVMe. Maybe if you copy large amounts like multiple gigs of data from one partition to the other you will notice the difference but most people don't do that in their regular usage so no.

OS Snapiness all comes down to the random 4K Read/Write which in this case, is very identical.

SSDs have come a long way, they are way too fast to be able to see or feel the difference between one and another, regardless if it was SATA or NVMe.

If anything, NVMe SSDs will add at least 5-10 seconds delay to the boot time due to the time it takes to initialize the NVMe controller upon boot up.

Take for example, my wife's 6 year old Dell Vostro 4570 which has a SATA Crucial MX100 SSD. From the moment she pushes the power button till she sees the Windows desktop, it takes 7-8 seconds. On my Alienware Area-51m with a dual 2TB 960 PRO in RAID 0, from the moment I push the power button, it takes like 10 seconds until I see the Alienware logo, then another 5 -7 seconds until I see the Windows loading spinning icon, then another 8 seconds till I'm actually on the Windows desktop. Pretty sad that a machine that costs 10 times more than that old 5 year old laptop takes so long to boot and no I have no HDD in my system so that can't be the problem.

Heck I even tried formatting one day without RAID, single drive AHCI setup, the boot up was still slow as heck. Again, that's due to the delay of the NVMe controller initialization during bootup.

8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    My M18xR2 has 2x500GB 850 Evo drives in RAID0

My Area-51m has a 1TB 970 Evo Plus.

M18xR2 boots up faster lol, but in game loading and heavy transfers, the Area-51m wins by a decent amount.

Rei Fukai, Papusan and Spartan like this.
  9. Sawtoothwav

Sawtoothwav Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don’t have to use the Dell Deployment Package tool to install a vbios correct? I can just run the exe from desktop and install right?

10. warcobra

warcobra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I live in the US. I have seen that some people I know else where that have ordered it this month and are already reviving it with the same specs as I am. It's very frustrating that I am still in wait and I don't have to much time left to receive it. There also is really no other choice for me at this time that available to buy and get here quick. So the only thing I can do right now is build a small pc and somehow bring my gaming monitor with me which I really don't think is going to work out.