*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Forza Horizon 4, 5Ghz, GPU UV 1800mhz, Performance fan profile. max Details in 3440x1440

[​IMG]

2. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I flashed v1.5.0 (no recovery needed) and v1.0.0.3. Full power unlocked yet again! ;-)

3. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you guys think I should swap my Area 51M for a new model M15?

I much more prefer smaller form factor, with as much possible performance. I do however drive a 144hz 1440p monitor,
    Currently have i7 9700K + RTX 2080

And would most likely go for an m15 with RTX 2070 max-q and i7 9750H. (EDIT. if temps are good, might go with an RTX 2080 max q, if the price isn't TOO much higher)

What do you guys think? Once again, I really like the area 51M, but it being so large, hefty, and having 2 psu's still makes me kinda feel not okay about it. But of course the performance is undeniable.

But on the other hand I have something more reasonable as a laptop. And if we were to compare the Size % compared to the performance %, is it a good idea to switch?
    Of course I still am not sure about the temps on the new m15, But At least I can say, my RTX 2080 now ha okay temperatures with me undervolting so much that I don't use the GPU at 100% anymore, but more at 95 ish %. Otherwise it gets too hot, and I don't want to repaste, am not good at it.
    Also I don't need the upgradability of the Area 51M, As I buy a new system every 3/4 years.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  4. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So many cons... why have you even bought the 51m? The old m15 and m17 had the same Hardware GPU wise (compared m r1 series)

It sounds like the 51m was the wrong Notebook for you right from the beginning...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  5. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Alright, The reasons why I went with the 51M are as following:
    - I had seen real massive thermal issues with the m15
    - Didn't like the design of the m15, it was a downgrade comapred to the normal 15 imho, less lighting, uglier touchpad, worse chicklet keyboard.
    - m15 didn't have g-sync (although I realise now I barely game on the laptop its own monitor)
    - the max q machines were as expensive as the real deal, but drastically less performance, and then I was planning to get the 2080 max q, as I had a 4K monitor back when I bought the Area 51M, and running at native resolution is a must for me, and you cannot do that with the max q gpu's so well, And now that I have a 1440p monitor, I will have lower frame rates, but should be still acceptable I think, especially for games such as Overwatch.
    - I also asked Frank azor if there is any chance we would see a smaller Area 51M, to which I got a reply that there were no plans whatsoever, only to see the new m15 to be announced 1 month later, as the m15 only just released, and wasn't expecting a refresh this soon.

So yeah. I went for the Area 51M.

6. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would stay with the 51m, if you have a 1440p monitor than a 2070 max/Q is going to be a major downgrade in framerates. I barely hit 60+ on 1440p ultra with some games.

VoodooChild and QUICKSORT like this.
  7. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Alright .. now you know your preferences and can decide what device you want to own. ;)
    Thats a something we cant do for you.

I would go the Performance way all day long... but you have different preferences and need to make a pro con list for yourself.

8. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    1) Never listen to ANYTHING Frank Azor says. That person cannot be trusted.

2) I've had the m15 before, the keyboard is garbage, too cramped, and the thermals suck. So you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by downgrading.

yes the portability, battery life, is superb, but all the joy ends there. Your machine is a beast and has superior cooling, superior keyboard, superior screen, superior upgradeability, it stomps all over the m15 in every way, shape and form.

If you think the Area-51m is bulky, try owning an MSI GT75 Titan or a Clevo P870XX for a week, you'd be running to your (thin and light comparatively) Area-51m

QUICKSORT and hmscott like this.
  9. warcobra

warcobra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I can't decide if it's worth waiting anymore. I was just told I am now going to wait till July 4th. That is now 2 months of being delayed. I am deploying soon and really need something. Really don't know what to do right now. I may need to cancel and figure something out.

10. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    My second choice after the Area-51m would be the MSI GT76 Titan. Superb specs, superior cooling system. Simply a solid laptop that will last you for long.