*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is no new BIOS. It is the same and doomed 1.5.4 pushed to the masses through nagging software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Latostno

Latostno Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think a new date (B) will be assigned if they edit anything in their drivers' articles and the real date (A) is still inside those articles.

upload_2019-6-13_6-57-58.png

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    This will throttle the GPU. And, the CPU. Looks like Spring is ending early. It's Dubai in Phoenix. :vbwink: At least there is no humidity. "It's a dry heat." LOL. Supposed to be a "balmy" 114°F tomorrow.
    today.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    jclausius, Rei Fukai, S.K and 3 others like this.
  4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Nice and toasty!! :D On the other side of the planet (Singapore) it's so humid that it's difficult to breathe and keep yourself dry outdoors. I have been battling against corrosion damage on my servers and laptops for quite a while now as everything metal just gets "eaten up" where I live (just 5 minutes walk from the beach). I will probably be coating commonly corroded contact points like ram pin joints on the motherboard and other connectors with some sort of protective coating the next time I pull my area 51m apart (which will be in a few days as I am still waiting for more paste as I ended up dumping all the trash kryonaut that I bought. Got a refund from Amazon though which is nice.) Ordered some Phobya Nanogrease Extreme and some good old Gelid GC3 Extreme with a thick stack of more thermal pads.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I remember when I was there many years ago, we'd go nowhere until the taxi had arrived and was really waiting outside the hotel, and simply walking outdoors was a no-no, not unless you wanted to sweat like a pig within minutes. And when it rained, it'd bounce a metre up off the pavement...

S.K likes this.
  6. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm at BIOS v1.5.4 and played a bit yesterday. Nothing overly taxing, but it worked fine nonetheless. Is this BIOS version just to play it safe from Dell so to not burn out more laptops?

There seem to be a new VBIOS v1.0.0.5 out today. Anyone tried it or know what it does?

7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    It will throttle your GPU as soon as it crosses 75 degrees celcius which is quite COOL for a 2080 under load. Load it up with more intense workload and see how it performs.

8. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I see. And I guess there's no way to downgrade the BIOS?

Which is the latest version that was "good" if I may ask?

Just saw your guide... is it V1.5.0 I should use to avoid throttle?

Are there also any word on VBIOS? Which version to use?

9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    You can downgrade to any version using this guide. And the best performing version so far for me has been 1.3.2 with 200W Vbios.

I just noticed that Dell has *REMOVED* both versions of 200W VBios from their website including the old versions repository! Haha there is something serious going on here!

Edit: I have uploaded all BIOS and VBios files that were deleted from Dell's website (or soon to be deleted, such as Bios version 1.3.2) on google drive. Feel free to download!
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E1Ji2rT07PI7iky6PtHPkyVreBIueKOZ

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2019
    DrewN, LoneSyndal, c69k and 3 others like this.
  10. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That happened yesterday. I really don't understand why they are doing this