*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Apparently that's how it's going to be from now on. But they will give us the option to use the older BIOS'. Pretty crappy...

2. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 3 fixes needs to take place in 1 month time. Not the life of the product. I harp to dell on this all the time. Such a bs policy.

3. Pezzza

Pezzza Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In the changelog of the BIOS v1.2.0 it is stated "Added Intel Hyper Thread Control option to BIOS settings", does this mean it is possible to turn off hyperthreading on this laptop ?

4. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It should be possible yes.

Pezzza likes this.
  5. Pezzza

Reputations:
    Good to know, thanks

6. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Area 51m just doesn't stand a chance in performance compared to some true beasts which can really deliver 200w RTX performance without any risk like Clevo-p870 modded or Asus G703GX.
    The thing is, Dell forced the 6-phase power supply gpu to offer this kind of heavy load while else's using 8-phase or even more.
    Cost saving causes the potential limit of this dgff 2080 falling behind others

Rei Fukai likes this.
  7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    200W Vbios is *Optional* and only for power users. The official stance seems clear enough to me. And from practical perspective, there is no real difference between the 180W and 200W unless one goes on the benching route. And if a noob is benching with stock tim and thermal pad job and then fries his machine then that's on him. The laptop was not intended to sustain prolonged benching sessions (any laptop for that matter) but to play games. If you want to bench, make it ready for benching first. I wonder when will manufacturers start stating this in their warranty statements so that a whole lot of hardware issues could be avoided in the first place.
    I know I will get heat for this comment, but that's quite normal here.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Lopt and giltee like this.
  8. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, without any adjustment, 180W delivers nearly the same performance especially when the temp coming to the throttling wall which happens pretty often.
    The only thing is the feeling with the number 200 is much better than 180. That's some obsessive compulsive complex lol.

giltee and S.K like this.
  9. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am probably going to download every BIOS and vBIOS just for safekeeping. Might try 180W under gaming usage to see if it can still manage my settings without high temps.

S.K likes this.
  10. Pezzza

Reputations:
    Does anyone has numbers to firgure out in game performance difference between 180 and 200 ? But I guess it should not be huge based on what you said