*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i think it's a mistake from that reviewer, which is hardly a good review to begin with. unless there's a dedicated mux switch to switch between igpu and dgpu, no way it will has auto switching aka optimus. besides, the display on the laptop is connected directly to the dgpu, not the motherboard itself. the igpu for area-51m is only used to drive external display from thunderbolt 3. u can rest easy.

raz8020 likes this.
  2. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is definitely Intel 630 driver for Area 51-M in their driver support.

3. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The specs for the test laptop states 1920 x 1080 144Hz display so it could have been non-G-Sync.

c69k likes this.
  4. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ***facepalm*** I forgot that this can be ordered without G-sync.

5. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Honestly, I almost never take my Triton with me anywhere, its actually considerably lighter than my SurfaceBook, but the performance trade-off to battery isn't worth it.

I think you will find the same will apply to the Alienware 51m. LOL. Honestly i'd probably just go with the GSync. Optimus has sh*tty tradeoffs and is basically a built in performance limiter. The small battery improvements just aren't worth it, esp. with regard to software glitches/issues. Also there might be possibility you can disable GSync and still have optimus (not sure on that one).

What i'm wondering is why no HDR screens are offered...

Vistar Shook and c69k like this.
  6. mason2smart

Reputations:
    If that is so, then when connected to an external display, do you lose some of the gpu featues, like Nvidia 3d Vision? Will it affect the use of VR Headsets?

Will be interesting to see if the magnesium parts change the stiffness/rigidity of the computer compared to aluminum systems.

7. FrozenSolid

Reputations:
    Looking at the Dell US website the only screen configuration that the reviewer could have had based on his CPU would have been G-Sync. So either Dell have worked out how to use Optimus with G-Sync or the the review is BS.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    c69k likes this.
  8. Latostno

Latostno Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @alexnvidia, I'm not sure if the switching function will be the same with what people usually get in a MacBook Pro. If that's the case, everytime main GPU kicked in, the fans ran wild. The downside was, at that time, I felt like my laptop having unusual behavior (but in reality, that's what it supposes to be). Also, there're few rare cases when switching failed, the fan kept going crazy when nothing heavy happening

9. FrozenSolid

Reputations:
    I like the idea of Optimus because when I am in the office I sometimes play Hearts of Iron IV and that didn't activate the discrete GPU in my old lappie so I could play and still remain silent. Currently when I do that I make a tiny little bit of noise and a lot more heat.

c69k likes this.
  10. mason2smart

Reputations:
    Fan control, battery settings, whisper mode, underclock