*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have to say, i’m still waiting on a unit that goes up in smoke by someone who has used it for more than a month. Every smokey one i remember went up in smoke pretty fast and on the other side there are people like me who have been abusing it for months and nothing. It looks more and more on a bad batch or something to me.

LoneSyndal, c69k, Izumka and 5 others like this.
  2. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can't see it being a bad batch when it's this widespread personally.

Papusan, hmscott and propeldragon like this.
  3. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You’ll be back

4. paulrs1975

paulrs1975 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i told dell if they sort out the thermals.... and sort out the tech support, i might be back.

but tbh now i dont see why its worth paying nearly double for a system that overheats and takes ages to build when i can get better performance for nearly half the cost.

all i had to sacrifice is the per key rgb, im not an AW fan boy, if it works i will buy it.

looking at the forums the 51 m is just another unit with the same issues.

Papusan likes this.
  5. Pezzza

Pezzza Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was really about to buy an area51m instead of a clevo p751 or p775 (with i7 9700k and 2080) because I was worried about cooling capabilities of the p751 and found the p775 really ugly. So the alienware seemed to be a good compromise between portability, case quality and cooling.

But I'm starting to reconsider after reading all the issues mentioned in this discussion

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Are you from Europe? Because that is the bad thing here, Alienware is solely handled by the mainstream Dell support teams and they handle Alienware systems as such. In general they do not check it though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2019
    c69k likes this.
  7. paulrs1975

paulrs1975 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yes im in europe.

have a look at eurocom sky x7.

i went with 8700k as they are much thinner than then new chips, far thinner, which means better heat dissipation, esp with a delid and repaste. check out be8auer youtube channel.

edit= performance increase compared to 9700k/9900k in gaming is 2 or 3 fps, for a far more expensive chip withvery little extra gain in performance and much hotter chip however 9900k does has a 10-15% increase in content creation compared to 8700k but the price point makes it a no-brainer, unless you got cash to burn and dont mind paying a lot xtra for not much more performance? 9700k is also not a creators chip, no HT, 8700k beats 9700k in creation. and as its cooler you can easily push it past the 9700k for gaming compared to the hot cramped chips AW are installing. the 9700k should be an i5, or the 9900k should not exist and the 9700k should support HT and have 2 xtra cores, its intel money grabbing!

edit 2= eurocom also offer the 9700k/9900k however they also offer a delid and repaste service with LM and a copper ihs, so these will be far cooler than the AW chips. they will also lap the die if you ask them, but not needed for 8700k, its far thinner than the latest gen.

eurocom offers a cpu de-lid and liquid metal repaste service, along with copper ihs. alienware do not offer this and prob never will.

if you buy an AW be prepared for bad thermals, you will have to repaste and as iv mentioned dell say they will not honour the warranty.

there are a ton of reviews that put eurocom performance above the AW, granted it is not as pretty, but i saved 40% of the price of an area 51 m for better performance, and a cooler system.

i would rather have a more efficient system for far less cost than pay extra for pretty lights and bad thermals/ performance and bad tech support.

each to their own!

the money i saved im going to buy an asus 4k 120hz 43” hdr monitor. should be released in next few weeks. xg438q. its a beast!

thanks eurocom :)

Rei Fukai and Pezzza like this.
  8. Pezzza

Pezzza Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Sky x7 (I think it’s based on the clevo p775) seems good in terms of thermals but I was a little bit concerned about its built quality, screen bleeding and performances (because it « only » has one 330W psu compared to the total 510W of the Alienware so I thought somewhow it should be less powerful) but I you’re right, it has a much better pricing for better cooling

9. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Have you ever dealt with Eurocom support? Good luck my friend.

Might want to take the Clevo base discussions to the clevo threads?

VoodooChild and hmscott like this.
  10. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/cpu...00k-vs-i7-8700k-vs-ryzen-7-2700x,3336185.html

9900k vs 8700k
    gaming

AC Origins - 1080p, high details +16FPS
    Civilisation 6 - 1080p, high details +17FPS
    Pcars2, 1080p, high details +17FPS

Content creation

https://ocaholic.ch/modules/publisher/item.php?itemid=4192

performance differences with standard clock speeds. From our overall performance rating we see that the Core i9-9900K is on average 27.66% quicker than the Core i7-8700K. If we start searching for the benchmarks with best possible scaling on the i9-9900K, then we find that Photoshop runs 61% faster on this CPU

sorry but youre wrong...

raz8020 likes this.