*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Let me just add to this post that yes, the system has had its share of issues and yes, Dell is a also a lying scumbag company with front man Azor at the helm, but... but.... the performance of the laptop is absolutely mind boggling.

It really really is. When I look at what I could get for $3500 I paid for this laptop with 2 year warranty included in price, nothing else comes close as far as I am concerned.

The performance really is within ~5% of its desktop counterparts, the build quality and material used for construction is unbelievable, the screen is a 144Hz dream (and I mean that, you've to see it to believe it, I will not trade it even for 1440p 144Hz screens or 4K non sense), the keyboard is the best I've used too. So, the trade off is just that the user who buys this product should be an "enthusiast" and should be willing to read forums like this and tweak his system to its finest details and you've got a winner on your hands. And being back up internationally by Dell's amazing customer warranty services and return policies, I think it's safe to say that I'll not buy a MSI or an EVOC unless I live in the US, which I don't and I don't plan to as well although half my family members are there. I've had too many companies failing to service their products under warranty and I've learnt from my mistakes.

And now, looking at Apple releasing a $1000 monitor stand, $3500 doesn't sound too bad to me....

I've yet to turn off this laptop even once, have been using it 24 hours since I placed it on my desk and its yet to die on me... so there's that too.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

pathfindercod, Gorebag, nkc and 5 others like this.
  2. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For the 2080.. the 2070 performance and 2060 is nowhere near their desktop counterparts.

But I agree somewhat, it's still the most powerful 2080/2070 laptop for the time being.

3. Mechanized Menace

Mechanized Menace Lost in the MYST

Reputations:
    This all things considered it's not that bad of a system. It looks good, performs good, and isn't too ridiculously large. I think that it's far from perfect, but for what they set out to do I think it was successful. You can't expect perfection with anything in life. You can expect excellence and this laptop might have not hit all the marks, but it was still a very good device.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Appealing or not, if it's a blowy-uppy smokey mess, it's not going to be a reliable computer you can depend on over the next few years, which can get tediously annoying much faster than the warranty expires.

Warranty or not - you are going to lose time, maybe a few times a year - since to use the warranty you may have to give up using the laptop for weeks at a time - until parts arrive. And, with all the other guys Area 51m's sitting on the shelf along with yours waiting for parts, the wait could be a long one.

Once AW gets on to the next lineup, they may give you a chance to swap up for a new model, that's historically been how Dell / AW gets rid of these kind of problem models, but they may not.

I've heard this same logic countless times from AW owners, "as long as I have the warranty AW can replace parts till the cows come home".

Unfortunately you may have to wait for the cows to ship on that slow boat... ;)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    raz8020, Rage Set, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  5. ahanganu

ahanganu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, I have run into a strange dell-support related issue.

I got my laptop from Japan from a retail shop in April then got back to EU, and applied for a warranty transfer.

The warranty got transferred yesterday, but to make it totally beautiful, it turned into 1 month of warranty, which of course, expired. While it was still in the Japan dell system the warranty was till April 2020.
    upload_2019-6-5_8-46-30.png
    And I'm like, wtf?

I've sent a message to dell support but was curious if anyone has seen this before? Anyone transferred their warranty across continents? Any hiccups?

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, you may have to escalate it, I've seen this a few times before, once almost to me converting an order, the warranty went down - luckily I caught it before it went into effect and called to get it fixed.

If your order already went through to the point that the warranty shows expired, it might put a rut in the path to getting it fixed, so be persistent through any extra hoops they might put you through - please let us know what oddities occur along the way to getting it fixed.

And, you wouldn't be out of your rights to ask for a 3 or 6 months, up to 1 year extension to the warranty, as long as they are re-engaging it anyway. I doesn't hurt to ask, but leave that special consideration request until they have agreed to fix the warranty transfer glitch, but before it's done.

raz8020, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  7. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just might buy this laptop just to do this!

raz8020, Falkentyne and Vasudev like this.
  8. ahanganu

ahanganu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update,

This was rather painless. I called the local Dell support line (Romanian one) on the phone. All online ones ended up in Salesforce error landing pages.

They asked for the receipt of the purchase (I was like: I hope someone there can read basic Kana). While I was digging through the archive for the Japanese receipt I've received an email from case handler saying they could remedy it without the receipt and now the dell page reports it as expiring in 2020.

All good, I just left another request for the extension of the warranty, I'll get back with news about how that unfolds.

LoneSyndal, c69k, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  9. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Ultra Male Quick heads up, the link for the ZIP file for the 51m drivers is dead. Was going to download it and store it on an external driver and it just linked to an error 404 page.

10. paulrs1975

paulrs1975 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    so i cancelled my 51m order as it was taking far too long to ship. see below, this spec cost £2700.

instead i went with eurocom, this spec cost £1750, and ships in 3 days (its half built support tell me, should be finished today then testing)!

im done with AW, because iv had a real bad exp going back and forward with them over thermals, and delidding, repasting etc, they keep telling me if i repaste i will void my warranty, i kept sending them links to AW support channel on youtube where they clearly state we can repaste but the reply is the same, if there is an issue and they see iv repasted they will not honour the warranty.

so dell thanks but no thanks.

after checking MANY reviews i find that eurocom thermals are very very good, and has exactly same performance as AW at nearly half the price.

goodbye AW :/

edit: got a free upgrade to a single 780w power brick and 10% discount for being AW owner!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2019
    raz8020, Papusan, Darkhan and 4 others like this.