*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Dookie1985

Dookie1985 Newbie

Reputations:
    That and I got 14% off with the discount code. Plus, I've also been promised extra money back when it's shipped due to all the delays. I don't think there's any other laptop around that has this amount of power. I only went for the RTX 2060 version, but it's still more powerful than all the "mobile" RTX 2060's in the other laptops.

If I go through the order process, it still shows "Shipping in 9-11 days"

2. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  3. Sawtoothwav

Sawtoothwav Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That’s great! I noticed if you go with a sale default configuration it looks like they ship in 3 days. I worked with sales and configured specs like I wanted and it put my order ship date at 39 days.

I did Dell Financial Services to get a cheaper price. I’m happy about my purchase, I just read this forum and started thinking about how I’m going to have to do so many mods to get this thing cooler. Everyone here is awesome, love the tech power here, smart people!

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    What is the difference brick graphics vs. the whole machine? Firmware updates is always a risk.

I wonder if Dell will pay for the mess if they continue with firmware updates via Windows updates and brick your machine more than one time https://www.dell.com/community/Cust...S-update-breaks-motherboard-CMOS/ta-p/6063959
    Of course. The only way to be 100% sure the owners have the latest and greatest of firmware:) + this will help lower the RMA/tech support costs significant if they encounter even more problems than we already have seen.
    [​IMG]

Edit. Same tragedy for the Asus branded laptops... http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...1-owners-lounge.805107/page-125#post-10918989
    upload_2019-6-4_17-19-37.png

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    raz8020, c69k, Rei Fukai and 3 others like this.
  5. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Not an option in my line of work.

6. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's very sad really. I hope everyone one of the users have heard of the simple program called "Windows Update Blocker" (WUB). I've used it for a long time and works like magic. It a good way telling those Mafia corporations that I do not want your damn upgrades, neither on my OS, nor on my firmware.
    At least on Area 51m there's is a option to stop automatic BIOS upgrade in the BIOS itself, but as you can imagine, its OFF by default. These corporate greedy think of everything, don't they?

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
    raz8020, propeldragon, c69k and 2 others like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah I have already posted this advice in the thread to Stop Windows 10's madness. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1192#post-10917130

But I'm not sure the option to stop automatic BIOS upgrade in the BIOS will work 100% if Dell have added in code in their firmware to let them do it anyway (If they really want push the upgrades on the peoples machines). See... More as emergency button. Only Dell engineers have the answers for this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
    raz8020, c69k, Rei Fukai and 2 others like this.
  8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you guys really want to break your laptops to force Axor and Company to RMA them and give you a fixed one, just do this easy and brainless test.
    Trust me. 190 Amps will turn those VRM's Extra Crispy. Only thing missing will be the side order of salt and Chili Lime seasoning !

occt_load_vrvout.jpg
    occt_temps.jpg prime95_vrm.jpg prime95_temps.jpg

Ashtrix, Papusan, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  9. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If anyone is interested with my experience with Hidevolution's "thermal upgrades", here's my experience I posted in another thread:

My experience with Hidevolution is also absolutely horrendous. Their customer service is very good, no doubt about it and dealing with Donald was great.

Unfortunately their thermal services are absolutely dreadful and overrated like crazy. I've a delidded 9700K from Hidevolution on my Area 51m and it ran super hot right out of the box. I paid for their premium services with LM and Fujipoly and all that jazz.
    When I eventually received the system, I was told that its normal for a laptop to run at 100C within 2mins of AIDA64 stress test. The communication between their technical team and their customer team is also dreadful. I was told that my system passed all their thermal test including a "43 minutes AIDA64 run" at their store and I am doing something wrong with my "settings" and its a user error.

What was the tipping point for me was when I ran Division 2 at stock in my Area 51m at stock with FULL fan speed, the CPU reached 97C and GPU hit its threshold of 85C within 10 mins of gameplay and at that point I knew that the thermal upgrades was just a scam! Nothing more! I was told not to open the system until they check remotely and I knew the system is beyond fixing remotely. I then cut off all communications with them. I also knew about the 10% restocking fees so decided not to return the system and shipping from UAE to US is another $300!

I bought some Gelid extreme and did the thermal application myself. What I saw inside was absolutely unbelievable! I will not bother going into the details but let me just say that the screw of the back panel of the laptop was tightened so hard that ended up cracking up the panel while opening it the first time.

After my own thermal application, the CPU has never exceeded 80C and GPU is running at acceptable levels too.

It's fair to say that I'll never recommend Hidevolution to anyone else in the future. Stay away from their upgrades. I paid $170 for a generic QLC based 1TB nvme drive which runs at 1600Mbps and $120 for a out of date 16GB Kingston DDR4 ram which is the slowest DDR4 Sodimm I have ever used! And they're say its "Hidevolution approved". What a joke!

Edit:

I had initially decided not to post this after all the bull crap I went through regarding thermals but when I realized that I am stuck with a 2 × 8GB Kingston ram sticks which I cannot find anywhere else on the market and that I cannot ever upgrade to 32GB without wasting my current SODIMM, I think it's fair that I warn potential buyers regarding this.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  10. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That was my experience with my old Clevo/EVOC dm3.

VoodooChild likes this.