*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Temps only make sense in reference to ambient. If I say my CPU temp is 60C and my ambient is 20C, what I'm saying is that the CPU temp delta to ambient is +40C assuming no throttling. If my ambient temp was 40C, the temp would be 80C. Of course, at some point components start thermal throttling and thus expend less energy reducing the delta to ambient.

c69k likes this.
  2. Dookie1985

Dookie1985 Newbie

Reputations:
    I ordered mine on 30th April and I still don't have mine. For the last week and a half, I keep being told by the customer service team that it'll ship in the next 24/48 hours, and that's coming from the manufacturing team. I've since logged a formal complaint and dealing with someone from the advanced resolutions team who've informed me that they are still waiting on shipment of the graphics cards, and there is currently a shortage at the moment. They themselves are waiting on shipment of a 2080 TI just for testing purposes, which was on order over a month ago. They've even been given an updated estimate for that for July.

nVidia seems to be to blame for these shortages/delays, but they still shouldn't be taking orders until those supplies are in and back orders are completed.

3. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like more reason to develop an AMD variant so you would never be on such short supply... Nvidia has been backlogged in the notebook arena for weeks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sawtoothwav

Sawtoothwav Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I’m guessing you’re like me and are not going to cancel because of the power of this laptop?

5. Ale380

Ale380 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here in italy it says it should be shipped within 9-11 working days if you get the 2080, otherwise 5-7 if you get the 2070...is it the same in your country? Because i have to order another one as my first one died 20days ago and my refund should arrive this week hopefully..if msi doesn't release the gt76 i guess i will give alienware another go..

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can use nvflash to lock the SPI chip from writing using -writeprotect ON|OFF. That will prevent Dell from writing new flawed vBIOS in the future. Don't do the same for Main BIOS SPI chip.

c69k and Rei Fukai like this.
  7. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't think Dell is that stupid to flash a graphics vBIOS through Windows update or through their AlienwareUpdater app. That would be absolutely comical if it were to happen. God bless those Reddit moderators then...

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Dell Bios includes everything. MS Surface gets firmware update for each parts through WU. https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=surface firmware

raz8020, Papusan and Rei Fukai like this.
  9. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Whats stupid on the US page for the 51m. If you choose a 9700k the win10 pro upgrade is +$60. If you choose a 9900k the win10 pro upgrade is +$95.

10. Sawtoothwav

Sawtoothwav Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I purchased a Win 10 pro key on eBay for $3.95, had a $3 coupon paid .95 cents

Izumka, propeldragon, c69k and 2 others like this.