*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It will be quite hard. I may have to create a resolution profile for 60-75Hz so it does even less. As for the images for color management, I have yet to sit at any PC for days due to 6 straight nights of work. (still at work)

What you can do for color management though, look at Ultra Male’s thread for LG display calibration and uncheck the boxes he says to check instead. Thats basically it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VoodooChild likes this.
  2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I suppose these temps are without any heat sinks? Because if there are heat sinks installed then these temps are still a little too high.

3. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As a guess looks like it downloads RTX drivers and your RTX is broken.

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think Dell is slowing switching to Insyde BIOS platform just like XPS lineups. Even insyde Tools are too good old to get correct dump or features working on BIOS. They are dated 2014-15 and might not work flawlessly.
    Best option is to contact Svet or Prema or LordZog who have good knowledge on both AMI and Insyde BIOS platform tools.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    raz8020, Falkentyne and Rei Fukai like this.
  5. Silentfan

Silentfan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is very good and means that the 2080 (with a little bit thottling) does not get hotter than the 2070 with maximum 115w... (the 2070 is also throttling in many games with high load, because of the very low TDP).

Than I can upgrade to a 2080 and still use quiet fan profile (with little throttling).

Upgrade-process: buy a new area 51m with 2080 and sold the actual one with 2070... ;)
    Currently there is no other way. And I don`t want to wait...

UPDATE: Now I can only buy the 2080 :)

edit: I have a question: why does your 2080 reduce perfomance (1600-1650 MHz at 0,75-0,8v or similar) without reaching (76 degrees) the target temp of 87 degrees? (you are using a AWCC-OC-profile, because the target temp from quiet-fan-profil is 75 degrees).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    VoodooChild likes this.
  6. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope. No AWCC Profile. The fans react slow. Thats why the 2080 reach 76 degree before the fans start spinning faster.

7. Silentfan

Reputations:
    @captn.ko

Very nice! :)
    That means: If you would use a AWCC-OC-profile, you could have more power (0,8-0,9v and 1700-1900 MHz) with quiet fan profile.... (but than 80-87 degrees).
    Conclusion: quiet fans are possible with only a little bit throttling. Perfect for me. I`m not interested in stock clock/voltages (with higher fan rpms) or overclocking.

edit: 1600-1650 MHz with stock settings / without OC-profile / quiet-fan-profile is already good for me. With an optimized afterburner-curve, I can get even more, if I want.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think your intel MEI FW is corrupted causing black screen when reboot whilst shutdown works perfectly. The issue is called SPI write bug or something. I solved the same issue on a Lenovo laptop using Linux development-kernel when it was caused by Windows upgrade process from v1703-1709. Usually it can be fixed by re-applying BIOS with newer MEI with DATA partition uninitialized.
    Its better to send A51m for service.

9. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They are temps of my drives after Hidevolution's thermal upgrades using Dell's heat sinks sadly. I know it's a bit on the higher side but you need to factor in that my ambient room temperature is 37C. My wife hates using AC and there's nothing I can do about that.
    Imagine this system running at full throttle with both CPU and GPU running over 75C and the drives at 45C while gaming and the system fans blowing out hot air into the atmosphere where the ambient temps is 35C+
    That's my gaming life in a nutshell.

See the attached image: this is after 2 hours of Metro Exodus at Ultra with RTX (high preset) and DLSS on! [​IMG]

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

So, let me get this straight, you sold your old 2070 based system and ordered a 2080 based laptop just so that you can run your games on "Silent profile" ?

Congrats on your new system. Let us know how she runs.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2019
    S.K, LoneSyndal and Mechanized Menace like this.
  10. Silentfan

Reputations:
    With my actual 2070 I run the games also at silent profile. Quiet fans are very important for me. For that I like to give away some performance (a optimized afterburner-curve, 1650-1700 MHz @0,8 for example). Result: a silent (much quieter!) notebook and "only" (ok for me) 12-15% gpu-perfomance-loss.
    (with this procedure you should always buy the best hardware, in order to still have enough gpu-power :D)

edit: 12-15% gpu-perfomance-loss = > 25% power consupption / heat :cool: